Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried on a Zegna Roma suit today and absolutely loved the fit. However, I didn't really like the $2200 price tag. Does anybody know of an option that isn't as inexpensive but has a very similar cut and feel? Samuelsohn seems to be highly regarded here and was curious if they might be able to make a similar suit? Thanks in advance.

Also, sorry for the repetitive posts but after further research it seems that the Paul Smith suit I asked about earlier isn't that well made.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
There is absolutely no substitute for trying a suit on and seeiing how it fits you. You might watch for Zegna sales. You might also be a bit patient as the suits that the retailer bought for $1200 at the height of the weakness of the dollar and strength of the Euro and are selling for $2200-2600 now will be much cheaper when they buy their fall 2009 goods that are being bought and paid for in first qtr of 2009 with a strong dollar/weak euro. Retail prices of Zegna moved from $1900/suit to $2900/suit over 12 months in late 07 and early 08. That move has gone the other way the past 6 months.

That being said, I love the cost/value relationship of Samuelsohn. I have a number of Zegna and a number of Samuelsohn plus a large number of more expensive suits and find great value in both lines you are considering. I probably would say I find world class value in Samuelsohn even a bit greater than Zegna.

Perry

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perry,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have not tried on any Samuelsohn yet but am hoping to do so this week. My only concern is that they might not have a slimmer fit with flat front trousers in RTW and I don't know if I will have enough time to go MTM. I am going to head into the Hound here in San Francisco this week to see what they are offering.

Went back to the Zegna store today over in the Stanford Mall and tried on their three different models, Roma, Milano, and their basic and loved all of them. If I decide Zegna I will probably end up with their basic as it fit me great. However, they ordered a Z Zegna for me to try on as well.

There are so many choices out there it is hard to figure out exactly which one is perfect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm completely aware of the difference between Z Zegna and Zegna and if you were to do some more research, you'd see that bluefly also has other suits labeled as Z Zegna leading me to believe these are mainline. I've also found that the full retail prices listed on bluefly to be correct and they also happen to coincide with the OP's experience with pricing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think it's fairly safe to say that it is mainline with the "Fit Rom" description and the sleeve label. However, if it is older stock from a couple of years ago, they may have a boxier fit. The current label on the sleeve though makes me think these suits are at least as recent as last year.

-RT

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Last year (2008) was interesting from an Italian goods point of view. Zegna stock suits started the year priced at $1895 at NM and ended the year priced at $2895 also at NM. All of the change was because of the exchange rate.

They could be from 06 or so, but I don't even remember Zegna at that price then. I can check my files and see but I recall my last retail purchase of a Zegna RTW suit was in 06 and it was at $1795.

Perry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.