Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the threshold when it comes to suits without losing fit usually? I've never worn one so I dont know. I'm looking to buy a good and expensive suit and I want sure I can wear it all the time . Is plus or minus 5 lbs fine?

I read lot of the forum members have expensive suits so I assume that all of you have good eating habits and do not put on weight. For those of you who do, at what point does the suit lose its fit?

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
What is the threshold when it comes to suits without losing fit usually? I've never worn one so I dont know. I'm looking to buy a good and expensive suit and I want sure I can wear it all the time . Is plus or minus 5 lbs fine?

I read lot of the forum members have expensive suits so I assume that all of you have good eating habits and do not put on weight. For those of you who do, at what point does the suit lose its fit?

Thanks
As choirmaestro says, it really depends. If you're 250lbs right now then an extra 5 probably isn't going to make a difference. If you're 130 it might. Also do you, like most men, tend to gain in the gut or overall?

I found that my suits that I bought when I was 185Lbs started to get noticeably uncomfortable when I hit 200Lbs, probably more like 195Lbs if I hadn't been in denial.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
With a bit of weight gain or lose, the main difference is the fit of the trousers. The simple solution is have trousers with side-tabs. If you are looking to lose a bit of weight, let them know and they have a tighter fit to; if gain, then a looser fit. Although the best thing to do is, if the centre of the tab set to your present figure with a possible adjustments for tighter and looser fitting.

As one gets older, it is always best to get trousers with a bit of extra room. You can either get a loose fit trouser or get backward pleat trousers and then if latter on they fit too tight get the pleats taken off, so they are flat front trousers. Again, discuss this with your tailor, as backward pleats are easier to take out then forward pleats.

Jacket is a bit more complex, but it means you can do more to it.

As the others have mentioned if there is a small gain then it will not make a different. In my opinion, this only needs to be considered when getting some expensive MTM or bespoke suits because they last longer (a lifetime in the case of some bespoke).
Over the space of 3-5 years, people can gain weight but normally not enough that they need a complete new wardrobe whereas give someone 10-20 years and there could be a major different.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I would say that a five pound gain can easily be noticed .....

in the fit of your clothes. At a period of my life which was problematic, I balooned up to just over 201 pounds! I eventually conquered the weight and have weighed 165-168 for a number of years. I believe that over-weight people do not look good in their clothes, even if they are bespoke and expensive. A good way to stay within 5 pounds of your best weight is to weigh yourself every day and immediiately cut back if you'vegained a few pounds. A low-fat, high-fiber diet helps in the long run. You can't have it both ways: Either you maintain proper weight through diet and exercise or you get fat and look bad in your clothes.

I don't subscribe to the theory that one gains weight as he/she gets older. I am in my seventies and I am slim and can pass for ten years or more younger. You have to get old, but you don't have to get fat.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
your shirt, and in particular its collar, will tell you when you put on too much weight before your suit will - at least thats my experience, your mileage may vary. I also think your favorite belt and your wrist watch band will also scream before the suit jacket.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
in the fit of your clothes. At a period of my life which was problematic, I balooned up to just over 201 pounds! I eventually conquered the weight and have weighed 165-168 for a number of years. I believe that over-weight people do not look good in their clothes, even if they are bespoke and expensive. A good way to stay within 5 pounds of your best weight is to weigh yourself every day and immediiately cut back if you'vegained a few pounds. A low-fat, high-fiber diet helps in the long run. You can't have it both ways: Either you maintain proper weight through diet and exercise or you get fat and look bad in your clothes.

I don't subscribe to the theory that one gains weight as he/she gets older. I am in my seventies and I am slim and can pass for ten years or more younger. You have to get old, but you don't have to get fat.
Wow !! great advice !!! All true ! well dressed and overweight is still overweight.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I let rip for two weeks around Christmas. Glutton central. I probably gained 20 lbs. and just lost a little over 10 so far. I'm 6'4" and while people say it doesn't show, 20 lbs. puts me into another size suit, with every 10 lbs. being an inch of waist.

Your waist is the primary problem with fit, but the shoulders and chest bulk in the jacket and the fit looks tight. There are guys here, and everywhere, that like TOO TIGHT fitting jackets, but they do look pretty bad to a trained eye.

If you can flex around without straining the shoulder seams you are in very good shape with the suit, I feel. The buttons of the jacket should have 2 inches extra after being shut, but you can get away with having as little as NO extra space (like I had after Christmas)... but that's not recommended and starts to look like someone who outgrew their jacket.

A good suit (jacket) will give your body shape, but don't get that mixed up with being stuffed in a jacket like a sausage.

I believe that over-weight people do not look good in their clothes, even if they are bespoke and expensive. A good way to stay within 5 pounds of your best weight is to weigh yourself every day and immediiately cut back if you'vegained a few pounds.

I don't subscribe to the theory that one gains weight as he/she gets older... You have to get old, but you don't have to get fat.
I semi-agree. Well, maybe totally agree.
I find OBESE people really look horrible in the typical suit/sports jacket cut. I know from being there--I lost 150lbs. a little over a year back.
Overweight people benefit the most from the cut of these types of clothes, but it is still best to be trim (fairly normal weight/sans bulging stomach) because it does look best.

My way of keeping an eye on my weight is my waist on dress pants.
It really does hold me in check, unless I intentionally let loose.
The worst thing someone can do is wear large waisted or flexibly waisted clothes because they give you no way to remind you of your shape.
When I gain weight and stuff into pants it reminds me constantly to stop eating certain foods or too much.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I have a similar story to Dfloyd....was over 200lbs when I was married (3 years ago) but thats because my diet and excercise regiment consisted of oreo cookies, whole milk, and getting up to go to the bathroom between TNT's Law and Order daily marathons. Now, I run real marathons...sadly, its mostly so I don't grow out of a wardrobe I bought that I couldn't afford...let alone afford to replace.

I've had suits taken in by two sizes but they just don't look right. Some of my suits had been taken in as far as possible, so that the pockets on the pants would actually have overlapped had they been taken in any more.

Now, along with my running and gym routine, I obsessively weigh myself and have journal every item of food and drink I have consumed in the past 2.5 years (my journal goes back to Sept of 2006). Its sick. It has taken over my life, and I freakin hate it. I wish I never started it, because now everytime I have a bad meal, or a quick snack, I guilt myself into believing that I'm gaining and will grow out of my clothes. It also doesn't help if I'm a few pounds heavier one night than another.

Anyway, I know rationally, I should just stop if it makes me feel like this...but I can't. I can think it out rationally, but I can't act it out rationally.

Don't drive yourself crazy...but from the sound of it, you're worried about 5 pounds it sounds like you're already there...:pic12337:

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^Daily weight checks can be frustrating and misleading. Weighing yourself once a week, same time and same day each week, will provide more reliable and less frustrating feedback! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.