Men's Clothing Forums banner

Suits on Sale (Relative Value)

Tags
1818 jab suits
2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  micahb2002 
#1 ·
JAB had Sig Gold recently at 3 for $1,000 and now BB has 1818 at 2 for $990. Also you can find Canali and Hickey for around $700 each if you get to the right outlets etc

I am wondering the right strategy over the next few months as I need to get 4-5 new suits

Is the 1818 worth $150ish more than a JAB Sig gold or is best value had with a $700 Canali

Appreciate all thoughts.
Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
You can't think of rtw suits you have mentioned ....

in terms of value (material, wearability etc). As I have said before, you can't compare apples to oranges. The Sig Gold suits can only be compared to the BB Madison since they are both full cut suits. The JAB Joseph can be compared to the BB Regent somewhat, but the Regent is more of a slim fit than the Joseph. However, if you want a sb peak lapel, You wont find one in the JAB lineup. And I believe there are no Joseph suits being made now with a flat front. As far as the Italian suits go, they are hard to find in plain or more conservative colors on sale at STP etc. The HF suits are also full cut.

When making up ones mind about which suit to buy, one has to know what fits best and suits your style better. I am fairly tall and thin at 6' and 165 lbs. The Regent style and fit suits me better than anything JAB makes. If I had my choice between a Sig Gold which was FREE and a BB Regent at RETAIL, I would choose the Regent. Not because it is a better suit, but because of fit and style. I know I could never be happy with the Sig Gold. Know what cut and style fits you best before choosing an rtw suit.

#3 ·
I think you are best to go with the two 1818 suits for a grand. At $500 a pop, you are getting a well cut, reliable, conservative suit with above average construction and fabric. It also allows you to get a versatile solid or pinstripe gray or navy suit. I have found that the Canalis and Hickey suits at outlets are usually odd sizes and are some sort of colorful pattern. They often look beautiful, but just aren't very versatile.

To more directly answer your question, yes I believe the 1818s are worth the extra $150 over JAB.

#5 ·
I own BB 1818 and JAB signature gold, and have been really impressed with my JAB signature golds for the price ($199 and $299). I think I would take the BB 1818 at $500 over a sig gold at $333, but am not sure if it is that much of a dollar-for-dollar difference.

BB will offer more customer service when you need it. My 1818 suit has required repair work, and you only get one pair of pants with each. It's a slight step up from the signature gold, but not that much of one. My Hickey Freeman Collection is much more of a step up from the 1818 than the 1818 is from the JAB signature gold, IMO. BB is a good company to deal with right now, so that is worth something.

It really should come down to one or the other having the color and cut that you like. If those are equal, I would go for the 1818.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.