Men's Clothing Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2,568 Posts
I'm a broken record, I know, but "Samuelsohn" is my stock "what suit?" answer.

MTM at a trunk show you're looking at maybe $1200-1400ish? C'mon, you're an attorney, just do it. It's worth it.

True story: whenever I go to court (because I commit a crime nearly every time I drive, I find myself doing so from time to time), I am ALWAYS mistaken for an attorney. Always. Someone comes up to me, "hey, can you help me?" because they need some legal advice, and I just have to tell them I'm a well-dressed criminal come to pay a ticket while avoiding points.

The power of a well-tailored Samuelsohn suit, my armor of choice when crossing swords with The Law. If it works for me, it should work for a proper attorney!

DH

· Registered
346 Posts
I'm a broken record, I know, but "Samuelsohn" is my stock "what suit?" answer.

MTM at a trunk show you're looking at maybe $1200-1400ish? C'mon, you're an attorney, just do it. It's worth it.

True story: whenever I go to court (because I commit a crime nearly every time I drive, I find myself doing so from time to time), I am ALWAYS mistaken for an attorney. Always. Someone comes up to me, "hey, can you help me?" because they need some legal advice, and I just have to tell them I'm a well-dressed criminal come to pay a ticket while avoiding points.

The power of a well-tailored Samuelsohn suit, my armor of choice when crossing swords with The Law. If it works for me, it should work for a proper attorney!

DH
I suppose my favourites for Court and otherwise are Oxxford and the above-referenced Samuelsohn. Everyone else seems to think I look my best in Joseph Abboud made in USA. I think I saw Men's Wearhouse has them on sale presently for $119 American. Go figure...

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The problem with Samuelsohn is that COVID did a number on their supply apparnately, so the places that carry them are telling me they have nothing in stock. I definitely want to try one on before committing to buying it.

· Registered
346 Posts
Well, I wasn't going to buy any more suits, but I just couldn't help it with those Joseph Abboud USA suits for $119 at MW. I went ahead and placed an order and paid the extra ten bucks for permanent creases. I wore the first of them today and it was nothing but compliments. No kidding. Union made in the USA and they look good for $119. I still don't understand it. If you could use any more suits, it might be worth going over to MW and trying some on...

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I haven't been in a mens warehouse in at least a decade. I never found anything that fit, so I stopped even trying, but maybe I'll have to check those out! Thanks for the suggestion. I've narrowed it down to a few:

(1) Caruso
(2) Coppley (MTM maybe?)
(3) Cornelani

I personally don't like the modern short jacket/low rise pants trend, and so I'm stuck between a more traditional suit (like Canali) and something that is a bit slimmer. The Canali pants fit me perfectly but the jackets are still boxy.

What are the general thoughts on Caruso fit and finish? Are they a bit slimmer than Canali but not too slim? I can pick one up for a good price online (with returns). I am also debating Coppley. The local store carries Coppley and they have a great tailor, but I'm just a little hesitant to buy a half-canvas suit for $1k-1.5k.

I'm also considering Cornelani because my Fitzgerald fit BB suits that were made in Italy (apparently by Cornelani?) were excellent. But BB doesn't sell them anymore.

· Registered
3 Posts
I haven't been in a mens warehouse in at least a decade. I never found anything that fit, so I stopped even trying, but maybe I'll have to check those out! Thanks for the suggestion. I've narrowed it down to a few:

(1) Caruso
(2) Coppley (MTM maybe?)
(3) Cornelani

I personally don't like the modern short jacket/low rise pants trend, and so I'm stuck between a more traditional suit (like Canali) and something that is a bit slimmer. The Canali pants fit me perfectly but the jackets are still boxy.

What are the general thoughts on Caruso fit and finish? Are they a bit slimmer than Canali but not too slim? I can pick one up for a good price online (with returns). I am also debating Coppley. The local store carries Coppley and they have a great tailor, but I'm just a little hesitant to buy a half-canvas suit for $1k-1.5k.

I'm also considering Cornelani because my Fitzgerald fit BB suits that were made in Italy (apparently by Cornelani?) were excellent. But BB doesn't sell them anymore.
I'm a trial lawyer as well. Tall and lean build. I've worn Southwick since 1994 (mostly Douglas and Dorset models). I recently started buying a few Brooks Brothers suits (on sale and their made in the USA models). There are a couple of Fitzgerald models left on the website. I favor that cut with the BB suits because it's quite flattering for my build.

The BB factory (outlet) stores still have some Fitzgerald suits available. Those suits are not listed on the BB site. But if you have a BB factory store close by, or a sale associate that you like to work with, then they can find the remaining Fitzgerald suits around the country, in your size. You can buy them over the phone and have them shipped to your home address. I did this back in November during one of their 70% off (perpetual) sales.

Good luck. Hope you find something that works well for you.

· Registered
41 Posts
Suits depend quite a bit on the cut of the suit vs. your body type, so take what I'm saying with the appropriate grain of salt. I wear a 46 regular suit, trousers 37/38 inch waist, so I often have to get the trousers re-tailored. Few places have suits with a 8-9 inch drop, and it's never as simple as narrowing the waist when you're going from 40-41 inches down to 37-ish.

I was a trial lawyer for over 20 years. I was a public defender for three years, the rest of the time primarily at a large firm in a white collar/enforcement practice. (now a regulatory enforcement lawyer, contested matters get resolved in arbitration-like settings. Never in court). Inexpensive suits usually sufficed for a few years; higher cost suits generally look better for a longer period of time, so spending more now can save you money later, depending on how trendy you are with style of your suits.

My opinion, the financial struggles of larger men's stores like Brooks and Jos. A. Bank have dented their quality. I have looked and have not been moved to buy suits from either in several years.

Try J. Press on 44th or the men's departments at Nordstrom or Saks. Even if the normal J. Press fit doesn't work so well, they now do made-to-measure. The department stores should have a good variety to try on.

My suits today: a couple of fairly old Brooks Brothers, Corneliani (nice suit for the price), Ermenogildo Zegna, a couple from Oxxford.

best of luck.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi everyone, resurrecting an old thread because I am still in search of new suits.

Most of our local menswear stores carry the same stuff, Hickey, Peter Millar, Coppley, and Samuelshon (though they have very few on hand due to supply chains). Of course there are the Neimans/Nordstrom that carry Canali and overpriced fashion brands.

I was looking to pick up a Caruso online for $600, but read that they tend to run very trim, is that true?

I like the Italian cut with softer shoulders, double vent, and tapered waist. I am not thrilled with paying $1,800 for an OTR Canali suit (or any suit for that matter). The Hickey/Coppley models seem quite boxy, but at least they are comfortable.

Any other suggestions? I really don't like buying clothes online if I can't try them on.

Edit: I like J Press, but not a huge fan of the sack suit fit. I have a 7-8 drop, so it just looks like I'm wearing a big sail.

· Registered
3,182 Posts
I really don't like buying suits that I cannot try on either,...

Long story short, I've owned Oxxford suits for nearly 30 years. The originals that I've purchased in that time frame were fitted in Chicago years ago.

Beginning 5-7 years ago I wanted a few more Oxxford suits and jackets and I had no idea how the new models were cut. (I did have to send two back until I understood the cuts of the newer models.)

One guy owns Top Shelf Apparel and makes all the decisions.
I have purchased four mainline Oxxford suits, four mainline jackets as well as three Oxxford 1220, (lower line) jackets, all are first quality, unless otherwise stated, and the savings over retail is significant.

I may have Hemrajani make a few more jackets for me as I continue to age but my Oxxford suits should hold me now for the rest of my life.

Good luck,

2,973 Posts

(1) Caruso
(2) Coppley (MTM maybe?)
(3) Cornelani

A good tailor could probably alter the jacket to your liking.
Regards,
Gurdon

· Registered
2 Posts
It is better to stick to the traditional formal business dress code. It implies a monochrome or almost imperceptible striped business suit in blue, black, brown, or gray. A suit with a knee-length or slightly lower skirt is preferable for girls. The fabric should not have patterns or prints. Under the jacket should be a light shirt and closed shoes without a platform with a heel no higher than 5 centimeters.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
I am loathe to spend a ton on suits, and don't want to look too flashy in front of a jury, but I'm having the hardest time finding suits that fit. Coppley seems a bit too trendy, Hickey is too boxy and Canali is nice. Any other suggestions? For attorneys, how much do you typically spend on a suit? Do you ever wear sport coat and trousers?
To revisit your initial question, I would say that fit is paramount, therefore, you should work with either a full service retailer or local tailor. It is better to buy a lower level suit that fits than walking around with a higher level one that doesn't.

A big question is what is available to you in your town. I'm in New York, therefore, I have many choices. If you live in a small city, such as Albany, Nordstrom might be the only game in town. Many independent clothiers are no more in the small cities.

I recently bought a MTM Hickey Freeman suit at LS Mens, and it is excellent. I have another on order.

Aside from Hickey Freeman there is H. Freeman & Son which is sold by Tom James. It is a moderately priced suit depending on the cloth.
Find-out where the "big dogs" and "cool kids" shop. Post-Christmas sales will be coming.

As for what lawyers typically spend on a suit, it runs the gamut. It depends upon your locality. A trial lawyer in a Savile Row suit would look out of place in a small town. On the other hand, there are trial lawyers who want to stand-out and want to say "I'm wearing custom." You have to find your own "voice."

Sportscoats and trousers are out. Suits only in either dark or medium colors. You are there on serious business. This isn't a day at the country club. I once watched a trial in Florida where the prosecutor wore a navy blazer and grey slacks. He was dressed identically to the court officer. You have to look your part.

· Registered
17 Posts
I worked in law firms in London and Chicago and my observations were that men wore all type of suits from CT , Suit Supply, Ede and Ravenscroft or bespoke in London to Nordstrom, Brooks Brothers , Ralph Lauren, Oxxford etc in Chicago. The only constant was the colour scheme. Navy ,Charcoal ,Grey with subtle herringbone ,birds eye and maybe even pinstripe in London.
Lawyers would either spend a lot on their suits or they would buy cheap suits that barely fit so no rule there. I always used to wear 3 piece and sometimes even DB and always had nothing but compliments from the Partners.

· Registered
176 Posts
The central question is "what is your style?" I've been practicing for over 30 yrs. I think I'm fortunate enough that I still appear youthful enough that I can wear slim, non-traditional (brown pinstripe, royal blue) suits without it looking odd. However, for jury trials and important appearances, I stick to the traditional cuts (BB, Hickey) and do not wear any Italian suits any longer. Great traditional suits (full canvas) are made better and last longer but even more important IMHO is that you have good, quality shirts, socks, belts and shoes. IMHO I think those accessories can make the suit look better but almost never will the suit bring up the accessories.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts