Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon everyone. I am in the market for new suits. I'm an attorney and typically have 3-4 jury trials per year (at least pre-COVID). I have typically had really good luck with Brooks Brothers, but I recently went in to get new ones and found that they've completely changed the fit on the pants. The rise is much, much lower, and the crotch and back are very tight. It looks terrible and feels even worse. My old suits still fit (same fit and model), so I know it isn't that I've gained weight.

Locally, we have stores that sell Coppley, Hickey, and Canali. None of which are ever on sale. I did find a grey textured Canali for $900 (on sale from $2k), but otherwise its all full retail. I am loathe to spend a ton on suits, and don't want to look too flashy in front of a jury, but I'm having the hardest time finding suits that fit. Coppley seems a bit too trendy, Hickey is too boxy and Canali is nice. Any other suggestions? For attorneys, how much do you typically spend on a suit? Do you ever wear sport coat and trousers?

· Read Only
2,318 Posts
Spier & Mackay's contemporary fits for trousers and jackets is what I'd look into.

The suits are usually drop 6 (38R comes with size 32 pants), but they allow trouser size swaps in the notes section of the order.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spier & Mackay's contemporary fits for trousers and jackets is what I'd look into.

The suits are usually drop 6 (38R comes with size 32 pants), but they allow trouser size swaps in the notes section of the order.
Thanks! Their full canvas suits look nice, but made in China. The price is right, but are they good quality?

· (aka TKI67)
3,449 Posts
I practiced for the past 45 years and just retired. I wore BB until the mid 1980s, Press until about ten years ago, and O'Connell's store brand and Southwick and Hunter and Coggins since then. n. b., I like sack suits, 3/2 rolls, plain front pants, and 1 3/4" cuffs. I make exceptions to the 3/2 sack requirement for two button single vent poplin and seersucker. I wore OCBDs and Alden tassel loafers with them, standard lawyer clothing. If you like that look Press, O'Connell's, and Hunter and Coggins all offer good value. I know Press and O'Connell's have good sales.

· Registered
2,131 Posts
Afternoon everyone. I am in the market for new suits. I'm an attorney and typically have 3-4 jury trials per year (at least pre-COVID). I have typically had really good luck with Brooks Brothers, but I recently went in to get new ones and found that they've completely changed the fit on the pants. The rise is much, much lower, and the crotch and back are very tight. It looks terrible and feels even worse. My old suits still fit (same fit and model), so I know it isn't that I've gained weight.

Locally, we have stores that sell Coppley, Hickey, and Canali. None of which are ever on sale. I did find a grey textured Canali for $900 (on sale from $2k), but otherwise its all full retail. I am loathe to spend a ton on suits, and don't want to look too flashy in front of a jury, but I'm having the hardest time finding suits that fit. Coppley seems a bit too trendy, Hickey is too boxy and Canali is nice. Any other suggestions? For attorneys, how much do you typically spend on a suit? Do you ever wear sport coat and trousers?
First of all welcome and when you have resolved this issue hope you will stay around.

I'm no lawyer and won't give advise as to how you should dress. It seems you were happy with the fit of Canali if so I doubt you would be happy in a sack suit. Nothing wrong with them but an altogether different animal.
I haven't shopped in Manhattan since the late 70's other than online from Paul Stuart so I am no longer familiar with the clothing landscape there. Since then it was MTM or bespoke and OTR from shops in the U.K. and tailored by my tailor. However at today's exchange rate they may not be the bargain they once were. Since covid one of my favorite stores has closed indefinitely. Thankfully I no longer have any further need for dress clothes.

Perhaps others here can steer you to some reasonably priced MTM tailors , for a few extra dollars you can get just what you're looking for. Good luck in your quest.

· Registered
3,667 Posts
Yep, never had any issues with quality, it's top notch.

Quality control can be an issue on the other hand, but I've found their CS to be accommodating.
Delish, how do you square those two statements?:devil:
Have a great day.
I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps: The quality is generally excellent, but sometimes there are flubs?

· Registered
2,722 Posts
If you are not aware of it, and it is still in operation, you might check out LS Mens Clothing in NYC. They seem to have a great number of styles, makers, fits etc and when I was in there a number of years ago, they were quite reasonable. 49 West 45th street 4th floor. They do custom plus a wide range of OTR.

· Registered
2,722 Posts
If you are not aware of it, and it is still in operation, you might check out LS Mens Clothing in NYC. They seem to have a great number of styles, makers, fits etc and when I was in there a number of years ago, they were quite reasonable. 49 West 45th street 4th floor. They do custom plus a wide range of OTR.
And I agree, by the way about the Brooks cut. I have both a navy and a grey pin stripe that I am holding on to for dear life. Both are 1818 Madison cut and have tried on newer BB suit trousers and find the same things you speak about.

· Registered
2,131 Posts
While I have never been to LS, I have over the years heard very good things about them. I had forgotten them, glad you you brought them up.

Hope the OP finds that useful.

· Registered
842 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps: The quality is generally excellent, but sometimes there are flubs?
Just to interject, that's it exactly. The quality is excellent overall, but once in awhile you get a little unfinished bit, or loose thread, or the like. But customer service recovers with flair. For instance, the last blazer I bought from them was missing the top unused button (3/2 roll.). I emailed them to ask for a replacement button and they sent me a whole set. And... they gave me the sale price on it that I had just missed.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
You should buy at a place that either allows you to try-on the suits or can order MTM for you. I do not recommend buying from the internet.

LS Mens Clothes is an excellent choice in a dwindling market. It has different makers for MTM, such as Hickey Freeman, Coppley, H. Freeman & Son, and a local workshop. Many trial lawyers, finance people, and aspiring politicians go there. I am a customer. Call before you go.

Paul Stuart is in perpetual sale mode.

Brooks is history. The suits offered at the branches (e.g., E. 86th St.) are both limited in number and poor in quality.

J. Press is still present, and I would trust its clothing..

· Read Only
2,318 Posts
Delish, how do you square those two statements?:devil:
Have a great day.
Sr. always keeping me on my toes!

Good point, I should have elaborated.

I agree with Troones that the quality is very good all around, but occasionally you'll get a piece that is obviously off in terms of detail and/or fit. Sometimes an entire run can be botched.

Their seasonal polo fit, for example, seems to vary every year. Last year it was short and boxy. The year before that, it was longer and slimmer.

Sometimes a pair of trousers is an entire size too small based on the order they made that season.

Their sports coats in a 38R fits me perfect every time.

Have a good night!

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for suggestions. The problem I'm running into is finding something that fits. I have an athletic build and I like higher armholes and a reasonably tapered waist, but nothing that is too trendy (i.e. short jackets and tight pants). BB Fitzgerald was perfect (at least my 5 year old suits were), but that's gone now. I haven't looked at Press, O'Connels, etc. because I'm just not a fan of the boxy sack suits on my frame.

It also seems like nothing is on sale these days (probably fewer people wearing suits during the pandemic) and the only option to find something under $1,000 is eBay. I tried on a couple of Canalis and I really like them, but they are still a bit boxy. I also tried on a Coppley and it felt very boxy. I wanted to try Samuelsohn but there is nothing in stock and they are 6+ weeks out on shipping new suits.

What are the thoughts on Caruso? The Canalis I've tried I really like and they fit well, but they are still a bit boxy on me. You can pick up Caruso suits for a good deal on eBay, but I don't want to waste the time and return shipping if they aren't a good fit.

· Registered
2,131 Posts
Give a look here,
eHABERDASHER.com, Luxury menswear at your fingerptips
It doesn't hurt to look.

If you have questions Benjamin is very accommodating.
I know you've been warned about buying online and I might be the exception to the rule.
I have at least 12-14 suits I purchased online once I have established a rapport with the shop.
I have never returned any, I was an easy fit and my tailor never had difficulty tailoring them.
it's knowing the cuts and fits of each shops offerings and quality.

· Registered
2,200 Posts
Thanks everyone for suggestions. The problem I'm running into is finding something that fits. I have an athletic build and I like higher armholes and a reasonably tapered waist, but nothing that is too trendy (i.e. short jackets and tight pants). BB Fitzgerald was perfect (at least my 5 year old suits were), but that's gone now. I haven't looked at Press, O'Connels, etc. because I'm just not a fan of the boxy sack suits on my frame.

It also seems like nothing is on sale these days (probably fewer people wearing suits during the pandemic) and the only option to find something under $1,000 is eBay. I tried on a couple of Canalis and I really like them, but they are still a bit boxy. I also tried on a Coppley and it felt very boxy. I wanted to try Samuelsohn but there is nothing in stock and they are 6+ weeks out on shipping new suits.

What are the thoughts on Caruso? The Canalis I've tried I really like and they fit well, but they are still a bit boxy on me. You can pick up Caruso suits for a good deal on eBay, but I don't want to waste the time and return shipping if they aren't a good fit.
Wait until mytailor.com is scheduled for a visit to your area and then book an appointment. The Hemrajanis are terrific to work with, a great value, and you'll be measured properly. Avoid online-only sources for suits...you're just asking for disappointment.

· Registered
2,131 Posts
Just so I understand the OP. One of his criteria is sub $1K.
Now some of the MTM outfits suggested are no doubt very good based on what I've read about them.
How many will make you a suit for under $1K today? For every positive there are at least some nightmares with traveling tailors. I would exclude those mentioned so far.

As to online only sources , I might agree. However Ede and Ravenscourt, New and Lingwood, Gieves and Hawkes, Cordings and Crombie,( closed indefinitely) are not. I will admit that at todays prices and exchange rate
they may not be the value they once were.

My tailor charged $1500.00 on average for MTM and average of $3K for full bespoke at the time, 6-8 years ago and I was happy to pay. He was/is the cutter and tailor, didn't farm out any work.

A good tailor can make a decent suit look great and a bad tailor can turn a great suit into a mess,
providing they were given something that fit reasonably well but needed some tailoring.

Based on his recent post he feels Canali feels boxy without tailoring,( my Canali's are far from boxy ),
same with Pal Zaleri.

He favors the fit of BB regent which by the way I did as well so he can't be that difficult a fit.

Maybe he should just bite the bullet and go MTM.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts