Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the season draws near, I will be attending a few evening parties that do not even begin to approach semi formal. However, as is her prerogative, my much better half has declared her intentions to break out some cocktail dresses for the occasions. In order to approximate her level of formality, I am anticipating wearing some suits rather than the more casual sport jacket/sweater option that might typically be appropriate.

This situation therefore arrises: Since I have a fairly limited collection of suits, I will likely be wearing some that are more suited to business, such as your typical navy pinstripe. Would this be so obvious as to look out of place at an evening event?

I do understand this point is quite moot as it relates to my specific situation. Many in attendance will be very casual, and the general dress of this region is extremely casual to begin with. It is quite likely they will simply wonder why I am so dressed up in general. Even still, I am somewhat curious about how widespread the rules on "no business suits for evening wear" really are, and whether it is the obvious breach to proper dressing that some imply it is.

As an aside, I guess one option would be to pick up an inexpensive Dinner Jacket in Blackwatch or a Stewart tie and cummerbund, and go with a 'costume' angle, but I am not sure how appreciated that would be.

· Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ Guys, don't do this to me! This is exactly what I am trying to avoid and you keep pointing them out in my thread!
In seriousness, I think I'll stick with my sold navy and mid grey suit. For what it is worth, I won't go sans tie.

on Edit: (Unless of course your are placing me in the same 'suave-ness' category as Clooney and Ford)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.