Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several suits that are perfectly fine, but the jackets have closed vents. Acceptable… yes…no? I could possibly have them opened but I’m not sure. Leave them in the closet, or wear them in public?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I find suits without vents look very early 90s. They also tend to enlarge the perceived size of your butt.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have several suits that are perfectly fine, but the jackets have closed vents. Acceptable… yes…no? I could possibly have them opened but I'm not sure. Leave them in the closet, or wear them in public?
Are the vents non existent, sewn all the way up or are they sewn up at the bottom of the vent?

·
Registered
754 Posts
You say you could "open them up"... Please clarify, do these jackets have vents that are sewn shut or are they ventless?

The ventless jacket is an abhorrence but I would certainly not mutilate it by trying to add vents.

tjs

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
All of my suits are ventless as are most of my sport coats. I like the trim look it provides, but at the end of the day it's just a personal preference like so many things that get discussed here. Having said that I'm not sure where my opinion stands in the "trad" world as I don't fully embrace all of the aspects of that look. But I do like some of it.

Cruiser

·
Registered
513 Posts
Venting

Given the limited number of changes a man can make in his clothes without looking silly, vents, like cuffs, bear more signification than they can bear. Practical considerations: double vents allow a man to put his hand in his trouser pocket without exposing his butt, and vents of any kind open gracefully when you're on a horse. On the other hand, only a few swells ride horses with jackets on -- except short denim jackets. And an axiom of American style is frankly I don't give a damn -- if I show my butt, among other things. Vent, single or double, or not. It's your style, and that too is an American axiom.

·
Banned
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The vents were originally closed when the suits were new. It appears that as with so many issues of fashion, it's left to personal taste. I relise that a ventless suit jacket is a bit dated, but sould an otherwise beautiful looking suit be left in the closet if it be ventless? I'd like to wear it, but I'd rather not be a laughing stock.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The vents were originally closed when the suits were new. It appears that as with so many issues of fashion, it's left to personal taste. I relise that a ventless suit jacket is a bit dated, but sould an otherwise beautiful looking suit be left in the closet if it be ventless? I'd like to wear it, but I'd rather not be a laughing stock.
If the suit fits properly and looks good then who cares if it is vented. No one is going to care whether your jacket is vented or not. In fact most won't even notice.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Always a surprise to me how suits in 30s films we're almost always ventless and often DB as well. But I'm not a fan of ventless. They are definitly not trad and I think they've tunrned into something vulgar seeing how they've become the go-to look at The Men's Wearhouse and other cheesey retailers.

Popular with an overall dress that includes tone one tone shirts (prefably wash and wear or in a solid color like red or black), K Cole duck bill shoes and a $10 haircut; this look is so vulgar it turns the stomach.

You'll also have some problems having a suit "opened up" No tailor can add double vents. I've never asked about adding a single vent.

www.thetrad.blogspot.com

·
Registered
416 Posts
The problem with ventless suits is that if you have your hands in your pocket, your suit jacket will ride up and you will look like a buffoon with a big butt. A well done double vent generally looks better than a single vent, but costs more to make, and on an off the rack suit, usually looks like a shelf on the butt. Hence, most suits are single vent for good reason. This may have all started with horses years ago, but has had nothing to do with riding horses for some time.

From the little I know, there is not enough fabric in a ventless suit, to "vent" it. So, until you can replace these ugly suits and jackets, keep your hands out of your pockets.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Venting Part 2

So to get back on point, ventless suit jackets look terrific. . . on vintage clothes from the 40's. On anything more recent they look dated, which is what they are. What looks best is double-vented. However, even though this look came back as a sign of very high-end goods, which is where it had always been, it eventually replaced ventless in cheap suits. So we're back to trad, which some folk never left. Center vent looks best. As for hanging on to ventless jackets, if they're part of a truly great suit, go for it. For sports jackets that look never worked all that well, not even in its Hollywood heyday. Too stiff and formal for "sports."

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Popular with an overall dress that includes tone one tone shirts (prefably wash and wear or in a solid color like red or black), K Cole duck bill shoes and a $10 haircut; this look is so vulgar it turns the stomach.
Gee, I'm sorry you have such a weak stomach. Maybe you should see a doctor.

Here I am wearing a ventless jacket. My shirt is not a tone on tone nor is it red or black. While you can't see my shoes, be assured that they are a very conservative pair of captoe bals. Maybe the flower on the lapel is a little much, but it was put there a few minutes earlier by a beautiful young lady and I'm a sucker for a beautiful young lady. As for my haircut; well, I don't really know what to say. :icon_smile:

https://img371.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0030aa8.gifhttps://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php

Really, you should consult a doctor about your stomach.

Cruiser

·
Registered
106 Posts
Stomach Turn

Gee, I'm sorry you have such a weak stomach. Maybe you should see a doctor.

Here I am wearing a ventless jacket. My shirt is not a tone on tone nor is it red or black. While you can't see my shoes, be assured that they are a very conservative pair of captoe bals. Maybe the flower on the lapel is a little much, but it was put there a few minutes earlier by a beautiful young lady and I'm a sucker for a beautiful young lady. As for my haircut; well, I don't really know what to say. :icon_smile:

https://img371.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0030aa8.gifhttps://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php

Really, you should consult a doctor about your stomach.

Cruiser
Sorry you seem offended by tintin's response, but once again let it be noted that this is a forum dedicated to natural shoulder/Ivy League clothing. While there are some variations, i.e. forward pleated trousers, spread collars, etc., there is nothing about a non-vented jacket that remotely fits here. There is some room for double vented, due to the Anglo influence, but ventless jackets have never been associated with the trad (as defined here) canon.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Sorry you seem offended by tintin's response, but once again let it be noted that this is a forum dedicated to natural shoulder/Ivy League clothing. While there are some variations, i.e. forward pleated trousers, spread collars, etc., there is nothing about a non-vented jacket that remotely fits here.
Nah, I'm just having some fun with his somewhat over the top choice of words.

But really, "vulgar" and "turns the stomach". That's a little much. I dare say that the most trad jacket on the planet would look bad accessorized in the manner that he suggested, the same that a non-trad ventless jacket can look good if accessorized in a sensible manner. That was the only point I was making.

Cruiser

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have 2 ventless jackets I bought prior to becoming "enlightened". I think they look fine. My military background taught me that my hands should only be in my pants pockets long enough to retrieve whatever I'm looking for, so I don't walk around with my hands in my pockets. Luckily for me, my rear end isn't so hideous that if someone catches a glance of it (covered with trousers of course), that they would gag. God forbid someone sees the seat of your trousers.

I know enough now not to buy more ventless jackets in the future, but I'll continue to wear the 2 I have.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you look at a number of Hollywood films from the mid 50's to early 60's, you will see natural shoulder, soft-roll 3b sack suits without vents. Carry Grant's iconic suit from North By Northwest is the most famous example of this. Before everybody gets in a tiff, I am well aware this is because Hollywood costume designers of the day simply preferred the "line" of a ventless jacket.

My main issue with ventless jackets is that they are fine if you spend most of the day standing-up or with your jacket off. Seated they tend to ride-up (no other direction for that material to go), and at the end of the day the back looks all creased from being constantly scrunched.

But if the suits look good on you (really the only thing that really matters with a suit), I wouldn't worry too much. If you have your heart set on strictly adhering to the most technical definition of trad on this forum, then the suits you're talking about probably won't cut it even after you add vents. Going to great lengths to transform a non-trad suit into a trad one isn't a very effective use of your money. I suggest you wear them and enjoy them. Save the money you'd spend on alterations and buy something else.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.