Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attending a wedding in Annapolis Md on June 1 at a country club outside Annapolis on the Chesapeake Bay. Not a part of the wedding party (actually a great uncle). It is a late afternoon wedding with dinner and dancing at the same location after the wedding.
Both bride and groom are UVA grads and both are somewhat "society" in their respective communities.

Question is which navy suit and shirt tie combination? I have a navy BB 1818 which is a heavier fabric (I'm not familiar with Annapolis weather this time of year) which would pair with a purple fine line BB spread collar shirt and a purple grey and white stripe tie. This is the more conservative of the two. The second suit is a navy poplin which I would pair with a pink and white narrow stripe button down and a navy with pink (small) pindot tie. The poplin, I realize is a bit less formal, but the wedding is not in some huge downtown church but in a less formal social venue. It is also bordering on summer, so the navy BB may be too warm for the time of year.

While i do not want to overthink this (which I may be doing now since I'm posting this),I do not wish to be seen as "that old crazy uncle" who shows up in loud suits and a cadillac with steer horns on the hood. (grin)

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Tom

· Premium Member
27,866 Posts
I am attending a wedding in Annapolis Md on June 1 at a country club outside Annapolis on the Chesapeake Bay. Not a part of the wedding party (actually a great uncle). It is a late afternoon wedding with dinner and dancing at the same location after the wedding.
Both bride and groom are UVA grads and both are somewhat "society" in their respective communities.

Question is which navy suit and shirt tie combination? I have a navy BB 1818 which is a heavier fabric (I'm not familiar with Annapolis weather this time of year) which would pair with a purple fine line BB spread collar shirt and a purple grey and white stripe tie. This is the more conservative of the two. The second suit is a navy poplin which I would pair with a pink and white narrow stripe button down and a navy with pink (small) pindot tie. The poplin, I realize is a bit less formal, but the wedding is not in some huge downtown church but in a less formal social venue. It is also bordering on summer, so the navy BB may be too warm for the time of year.

While i do not want to overthink this (which I may be doing now since I'm posting this),I do not wish to be seen as "that old crazy uncle" who shows up in loud suits and a cadillac with steer horns on the hood. (grin)

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Tom
I've got a personal antipathy toward pairing purple and navy, but that's just me. Obviously, a wool suit is almost always going to be more formal than cotton poplin, and likely therefore more "proper." But it's very difficult to gauge the social nuances for that particular club, and "set" and that time of year.

From a temperature perspective, it can vary greatly. But it tends to be humid, and that time of year could be really sticky if it's a warmer day. From a comfort perspective, I'd think the poplin a winner.

As always, if you could ask what guys will be wearing of someone involved, that's the best way to gauge formality.

· Registered
3,720 Posts
Will the festivities take place indoors or outdoors?

Either suit sounds fine as long as you don't come down with WWSWDT Disease (informally known as "wiss dat"). WWSWDT = Wearing White Socks With Dark Trousers. This illness has been known to afflict uncles, great or otherwise.

· Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will the festivities take place indoors or outdoors?

Either suit sounds fine as long as you don't come down with WWSWDT Disease (informally known as "wiss dat"). WWSWDT = Wearing White Socks With Dark Trousers. This illness has been known to afflict uncles, great or otherwise.
Not to worry about the white socks Charles! Only for the gym. I am partial to patterned mostly argyle socks and do have a lovely purple pair. I do not however have any with pink in them so will likely go with a dark navy OTC and the poplin as that is what my wife has shown her approval for. Not sure if it's indoors or out.
Cheers, Tom

· Premium Member
27,866 Posts
Not to worry about the white socks Charles! Only for the gym. I am partial to patterned mostly argyle socks and do have a lovely purple pair. I do not however have any with pink in them so will likely go with a dark navy OTC and the poplin as that is what my wife has shown her approval for. Not sure if it's indoors or out.
Cheers, Tom
That will leave you both comfortable, and Wife Approved! :happy:

· Registered
2,971 Posts
If it's a lot of UVA grads I have a feeling the Poplin is the way to go. Really it is going to be a temperature driven thing. I would just follow the weather. As of now temps are supposed to be high of 80 and 76% humidity. That calculates to a perceived temp of 84.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,122 Posts
While I 'Oh-So-Love' my cotton poplin suits for wear during warmer weather, for a wedding I think I would go with the navy BB 1818 and as noted by SG 67, pair it with a white shirt.

· Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gentlemen,
I think I am going to take both suits and a white spread collar shirt for the BB wool and a navy POW tie which is a bit more formal, just in case. My inclination is that I'll end up in the poplin as both the wife and guidance from J Bierly suggest, but am going to cover my bases in case my Brother in Law or other family members seem to think otherwise. (after all It's his grand daughter who is getting married.)
Thanks for all your input. I sincerely appreciate the opinions/suggestions that you have made.
What ever the case-- I'll at least come home with a good supply of just picked Maryland Crab cakes for a feast here in Boone the week after the wedding. Anytime i can go to Maryland and bring home crab cakes is a worthwhile trip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.