Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am new to this website. I ordered an MTM suit online. The front of the suit is OK I think. There seems to be quite a bit of creasing. I wonder if this is something that a tailor can alter and what needs to be done to the back of the suit.

As for the waist coat, I think the shoulder area might be a bit narrow. Perhaps I should get it re-made with the shoulders about 2cm wider, so that the end nearer the back.

Thanks
Hair Shirt Dress shirt Neck Human body

Outerwear Shirt Dress shirt Coat Human body

Shirt Outerwear Shoulder Arm Dress shirt

Dress shirt Blue Neck Sleeve Grey

Hand Sleeve Waist Grey Finger

Hand Outerwear Arm Dress shirt Sleeve

Sleeve Gesture Wood Floor Flooring

Dress shirt Sleeve Gesture Waist Mobile phone

· Registered
2,238 Posts
That suit is very poorly constructed and should be returned. You’ll likely spend as much on alterations as you spent on the suit, and the result may still be poor. And never - never - order a suit online again.

· Registered
2,384 Posts
Online made to measure garments that are as part of a suit and individual. That always has been and always will be nothing other than downright disastrous!

If you can‘t afford a bespoke suit (which is an average of 3,800 to 4,200 in the American Dollar and all currency’s within 0.20 of it), I recommend going to your nearest Jos. A. Bank, Indochino, Men’s Wearhouse or Suit Supply for made to measure (MTM for short).

But only buy MTM under the following circumstances: you can’t do off the peg, you want more individuality or you want something hard to impossible to find off the peg.

Otherwise, just do off the peg on sale or on clearance with alterations by a good alterations tailor. And always buy brick and mortar only for garments as part of a suit and individually. You dig? ;)

· Registered
2,384 Posts
Southwick OTR 43 (sometimes 42) here. I have to agree!
Now that you mention it, off the peg garments that are individual and part of a suit (such as coats and trousers, to name a couple) are good to buy online if you know your correct size in the brand you are choosing. Otherwise, try it on in the nearest store and, if necessary, get measured by a salesperson before buying online (again, off the peg only).

· Registered
90 Posts
For starters, there is seam puckering that is quite evident, the entire body of the jacket appears to be off-kilter, and the sleeve construction/fit is very sloppy.
Agree with your take. I would be mortified if I ended up with this, but can't imagine buying a suit online. It would be better to buy one off the rack that is well made and have it altered. This awful!

· Registered
28 Posts
In an attempt to provide some constructive feedback, other than what is pointed out, there are a lot of pull lines on the back, that in most cases should be avoidable with MTM suiting. The most noticeable is the pull line coming from the R hip hip up towards the R shoulder. That L shoulder blade prominence is also not ideal, and I think between the tightness over the L side and the excess over the right is what is leading to what was described as the off kilter look. The line of the shoulder is not terrible, which is normally an area of problem, though seeing a front and side view to look for collar gapping and how the fronts sit would also be important.

The sleeves look like they don't fit well over the upper arm, but again, without a side and front view it is hard to say much about the sleeves, for me.

It's really hard to say anything about the vest from the photos you show. I would also want to see how the bottom of the vest meets the pants, as it's hard to tell if it is the "right" length from your photos.

Hope this was a little helpful.

· Registered
1,791 Posts
While I agree with most of the comments, @RossA92 some of it may be due to the photos. Would it be possible for you to have someone take pictures of you (versus you taking selfies), and a little farther back so the whole jacket/waistcoat/whole suit/etc. is seen? The oft critique that the back is "pulling" may be lessened when your arms hang in a more natural position; it seems from some of the pictures that you have your arms unnaturally pitched forward, as to show the back of the suit more fully. But the net effect is to not represent how the suit will lie when you're standing naturally or walking, hence it may not appear as tight.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi. Thanks everyone for your replies. I didn’t think it was fitting very well. I’m going to try to encourage the online company to offer credit towards other garments, and show them these comments, so thank you everyone for your comments. I have been to this local tailor: https://www.stewartchristie.com/ , which seems to be well rated: I had asked about bespoke vs MTM, and the owner’s option is that I should get on well with their MTM, which is about 2/3 price of their bespoke. They are going to order the fabric now. Do you think it is worth the extra price for the bespoke in your opinion? The tailor did say that the shirts from this online company were actually a very good fit, so hopefully if I get store credit that I can hopefully use towards shirts.

· Registered
2,384 Posts
Hi. Thanks everyone for your replies. I didn’t think it was fitting very well. I’m going to try to encourage the online company to offer credit towards other garments, and show them these comments, so thank you everyone for your comments. I have been to this local tailor: https://www.stewartchristie.com/ , which seems to be well rated: I had asked about bespoke vs MTM, and the owner’s option is that I should get on well with their MTM, which is about 2/3 price of their bespoke. They are going to order the fabric now. Do you think it is worth the extra price for the bespoke in your opinion? The tailor did say that the shirts from this online company were actually a very good fit, so hopefully if I get store credit that I can hopefully use towards shirts.
If you can afford to spend 1 1/2 times as much for bespoke, go for that instead. Otherwise, go for made to measure.

Off topic, but you joined this website on my 47th Birthday when you joined two weeks ago today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts