Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone can explain this or at least share what their dimensions are. I've recently been on an obsessive hunt for the perfect fitting suit jacket, pants, and dress shirt. I feel I have finally gotten there, after months of measuring different garments, getting tailored shirts and suits made. Exhausting, but well worth the journey.

I have noticed something, which seems strange to me. These are not body measurements, but actual measurements of the shirt and suits. For my suit jackets, I go with a half chest measurement of 55cm. This is a straight line measurement from side to side, just below the armhole.

For my dress shirts, I go with a half chest measurement of 57cm. Same, a straight line measurement from side to side, just below the armhole. Both the jacket and shirt are fitted and sit close to the body. Is this normal that the shirt would be bigger in measurement than the jacket?

The only thing I can think of, is its bigger to allow for less restriction when moving your arms around. Obviously, with the suit jacket on, you are naturally more restricted. Is this common? I'm curious what others on this forum measure at? e.g. are your jacket and shirt chest measurements the same, or is one bigger than the other (and which one).

Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't believe there is any hard and fast rule. You could wear your shirts as close fitting as the jacket, in which case the measurements would be roughly identical. Also, the jacket does not move with your body in the same way as a shirt, which could mean that a shirt needs more "width".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mkrgk. That's what I came to believe. I assume it's just that the shirt needs more width to provide freer movement. So I guess it would be common if you get a tight fitting suit jacket, to have a shirt which has a wider chest measurement. Thanks!

·
Registered
981 Posts
There is another way to look at these measurements: the armhole of a shirt and that for a suit jacket may not be the same size, nor are they located at the same place w.r.t. your body. Therefore, the shirt armhole can be tight and high under your armpit, which can accommodate larger size, than the armhole of the suit jacket, where the armhole is located lower than the armhole of the shirt. And that results in the *chest measurement* of a suit jacket being smaller than that for the shirt.

In short, there is no point to compare that chest measurement between a shirt with a suit jacket simply because the armholes may or may not located at the same place, or the same plane if you see your body in a 3 dimensional sense. They are only matter if they are located precisely at the same place w.r.t. your body.

Human body is a 3 dimensional object. One has to think how to fit with that in mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.