Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Navy Blue Blazer from Brooks Brothers several weeks back. I like it a lot. Regent cut with double vents. However, it has brass buttons with an image of a sheep or something dangling that I don't like that much. What are some examples of buttons that I can change them too? I've read brown horn buttons is a good option but what else do people like?

I want to keep the blazer look to it but make it appear a little bit "younger". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I think I know the answer to this question but you can't just wear a navy blue suit jacket as your blazer can you? I've read this is a no-no but don't see what the real difference is besides the buttons? I just laid down a suit jacket and my blazer side by side and the only real difference my untrained eye picks up is that my blazer is heavier and made out of thicker material.

Thanks and sorry for all my questions as of late. Really trying to put the finishing touches on my basic wardrobe. Thanks to this site I feel like I am off to a great start.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The sheep or something is Brooks Brothers logo. You certainly can change. There are many button web sites and your tailor should also be albe to fix you up. I don't particularly like the logo either but if I am wearing BB, I stick with its label.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Changing blazer buttons

Check out

I'm sure there are plenty of other sites, too. I've gotten Blazer and suit buttons from this source, and the ones I've gotten have been pretty good quality. eBay has some nice deals on buttons, too.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
From the wikipedia entry on BB:

The Golden Fleece symbol was adopted as the company's trademark in 1850. A sheep suspended in a ribbon had long been a symbol of British woolen merchants. Dating from the 15th century, it had been the emblem of the Knights of the Golden Fleece, founded by Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy. In ancient Greek mythology, a magical flying ram, or Golden Fleece, was sought by Jason and the Argonauts.

Benson & Clegg has some nice buttons:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Seriously considering Amtrak conductor buttons

I share the abhorrence to brass buttons, but saw some schmoes on TV wearing navy sport coats with horn buttons and it looked too drab and timid. You can get buttons with metallic glimmer that don't have archaic institutional connotations.

I'm in the process of choosing buttons from So far they don't have much in stock that's the right size in silvertone. Previous posts lead me to believe a set of buttons costs thirtysomething dollars.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Try the student store at your college or university. Alternatively, I checked out eBay, and there wasn't much.

Ironically, however, there was another, probably vintage style of BB buttons that renders enough for a DB blazer:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. After a lot of looking I keep coming back to just plain navy MOP buttons for the blazer? Does this still make it a blazer and give it that look? I've looked at pictures and think this is a pretty good look.

Also, I've read recently about putting white MOP buttons on a Navy Blazer. I'm having a hard time picturing how this would look good but if anybody has any photos of that it would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My wife has made the same comment to me about my gold buttoned blue blazer. She says it reminds her of a security guard. She told me that dark non metallic buttons give it a more youthful look. I trust her judgment. I think something that doesn't have a shine to it.

Thanks for the replies so far. After a lot of looking I keep coming back to just plain navy MOP buttons for the blazer? Does this still make it a blazer and give it that look? I've looked at pictures and think this is a pretty good look.

Also, I've read recently about putting white MOP buttons on a Navy Blazer. I'm having a hard time picturing how this would look good but if anybody has any photos of that it would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
219 Posts

I think that white mother of pearl buttons might make you look like a pimp from the 1970's.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I've heard good things about off-white MOP. It's more of a European thing. As this photo proves:

it is not at all pimp-ish.

Pewter or silver can be quite nice, too. Brown horn is fine--sedate, but not objectionable.

Trust the rules about blazer vs. suit jacket. It may look fine alone, but as part of an outfit, an orphaned suit jacket will look like just that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My wife has made the same comment to me about my gold buttoned blue blazer. She says it reminds her of a security guard. She told me that dark non metallic buttons give it a more youthful look. I trust her judgment. I think something that doesn't have a shine to it.
Like a security guard? What a shame. Blue blazers have always had a distinctly nautical look to me, and while that might render them inappropriate for some occasions, I don't think they deserve such a calumny!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.