Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I grew up and live in the Washington, DC area and I have yet to find a decent tailor. If you can help me out that would be helpful. Most of time I end up not where I should be and waiting several months to get my pants and suites worked on. Again, any suggestions would be helpful. By the way, I work in DC near 10 Street, and live in Fairfax, VA.

Sumit

·
Registered
55 Posts
Where in Fairfax?

I've been using Lois Tailoring in Old Town Alexandria (on King St above Hanks Oyster Bar). He seems pretty good, but I haven't had anything major done yet - mostly just pants hemmed and jacket sleeves. He seems to have a lot of business because the typical turn around time is 2-3 weeks. Hemming pants with cuffs is $14.

·
Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
If you are looking for truly quality work, Will Field (Field English Custom Tailor) is your best best -- though his upper Georgetown location may be a bit out of your way. He is not inexpensive and high demand means that there can be a bit of a wait. But the craftsmanship is first rate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where in Fairfax?

I've been using Lois Tailoring in Old Town Alexandria (on King St above Hanks Oyster Bar). He seems pretty good, but I haven't had anything major done yet - mostly just pants hemmed and jacket sleeves. He seems to have a lot of business because the typical turn around time is 2-3 weeks. Hemming pants with cuffs is $14.
I live in Fairfax, Near George Mason Univ.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sun Tailor in Tyson's Corner do a great job and are open 7 days a week.

Fields in Georgetown also does some good work.

I think the tailor's at both places have very good eyes, so you don't have to explain in minute detail what you want done, unless you want to explain like that.

I prefer Sun's a little more. I will only go to one of these two places for suit alterations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sun Tailor in Tyson's Corner do a great job and are open 7 days a week.

Fields in Georgetown also does some good work.

I think the tailor's at both places have very good eyes, so you don't have to explain in minute detail what you want done, unless you want to explain like that.

I prefer Sun's a little more. I will only go to one of these two places for suit alterations.
I heard some very good things about Sun's in Tyson's II... Thanks for the feedback. Do you know how their prices are?

Sumit

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
^

Sun is fantastic. Really, really good alterations guy. I'd be curious to see his bespoke although it is quite pricey at about $4K for a suit...

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much Field charges for a two-piece suit? A jacket only?

TL

·
Registered
270 Posts
Joe Sauro, though only open the middle three days of the week is great.

1899 L St, NW
202-296-0748
+1 on Joe Sauro; I bounced around between tailors before settling with him. Top-notch work, and he's very good about telling you what can and cannot be done, how it will turn out, etc. I'm happy to take a lunch break to ride over to his shop, a block from Farragut North, in order to get work done right.

I stopped by Wm Field about six months ago and talked to him for a bit; I believe he does all the work on premises, though that's worth confirming. He gave an estimate of $2500 for a two-piece and $3000 for a three-piece suit. That was for standard detailing and in-stock fabrics, although I don't doubt that his fabric selection is outstanding.

·
Registered
84 Posts
+1 on Field. He'll listen carefully and do very good work both in terms of quality but also the overall fit. He gets almost all my business.

-1 on Sauro. He didn't really pay attention to what I wanted and I didn't feel like I got what I paid for.

·
Registered
270 Posts
+1 on Field. He'll listen carefully and do very good work both in terms of quality but also the overall fit. He gets almost all my business.

-1 on Sauro. He didn't really pay attention to what I wanted and I didn't feel like I got what I paid for.
Hmm, OK. I have an idea of what I want but I am typically willing to let the tailor use his discretion, so that may be less of an issue for me.

And maybe it's just me, but it somehow feels wrong to have a full bespoke tailor doing mere alterations. Am I not seeing this the right way? I'm honestly not certain if a bespoke tailor appreciates alterations because they're quick and easy and help pay the bills, or views them as a distraction.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hmm, OK. I have an idea of what I want but I am typically willing to let the tailor use his discretion, so that may be less of an issue for me.

And maybe it's just me, but it somehow feels wrong to have a full bespoke tailor doing mere alterations. Am I not seeing this the right way? I'm honestly not certain if a bespoke tailor appreciates alterations because they're quick and easy and help pay the bills, or views them as a distraction.
I think it depends on their business. If they're willing to do alterations, why not? They can always say "No thank you". I would very much like Field to make me a MTM suit at some point, so until then, a good way for a tailor to earn one's confidence is to do some advanced alterations.

I think it's an appropriate way to judge the quality of his work without risking $3000 on the first visit.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I heard some very good things about Sun's in Tyson's II... Thanks for the feedback. Do you know how their prices are?

Sumit
They charged about $40 to have the crotches let out a little on 2 pairs of pants, and about $225 to fix the fit around the shoulders on 2 jackets. On one suit they increased the padding on shoulders that were very too soft (no padding) and I think they made one jacket a little more narrow across the shoulders while also nipping in the sides a little.

So, not cheap, but you get what you pay for: excellence. They've done a great job, and they are open 7 days a week. And actually, I don't think their prices are really more expensive than anywhere else, are they? Isn't $20 to adjust a seam pretty much the norm?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.