Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be in NYC at the end of September for work and want to use my spare time (mainly) hitting up some shoe stores to try and find lasts for future buys. I am staying the Hilton Midtown (W54th and 6th Ave). I’ve found the Crockett & Jones and Carmina stores. I’m also planning on stopping at Kamakura to look at their shirts. Does anyone have rec’d stores that are a close walk that I should hit up?

My buying range is the $300-$600, so the higher end shoes aren’t on the radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
14,999 Posts
Bergdorf Goodman maybe worthwhile to stop into. You might find some offerings in your price range.

Barney’s as well as Leffot in the Village. There’s another shop called City Shoes which I believe is in Midtown. The Armoury in TriBeCa carries Alden and Carmina.

· Registered
14,999 Posts
Just for fun, stop into the John Lobb boutique on Madison and the JM Weston boutique, too, on Madison. Well above your range but nice nonetheless. Santoni is in the same area.

The Berluti boutique, too, is fun to visit. It’s really not my style but they really utilize an in your face Burnish. They do carry some nice styles but I can’t see paying that much money for Bologna construction.

· Registered
7,067 Posts
Citi Shoes is on Park Avenue between 56th and 57th Streets. I would suggest, if you're going to visit Kamakura and Carmina, that you visit Paul Stuart as well, as Stuart's is at 45th and Madison - a half block from Carmina, at 45th, between Madison and Park (in the Roosevelt Hotel building), and Kamakura on Madison Ave., between 47th and 48th Sts. Otherwise, a stroll up Madison Avenue from 42nd to 57th Sts. or thereabouts will expose you to much of what is available as menswear (and footwear - Alden has a shop on Madison between 43rd and 44th, along with the other shoe stores along the street).

· Registered
269 Posts
Citi Shoes is on Park Avenue between 56th and 57th Streets. I would suggest, if you're going to visit Kamakura and Carmina, that you visit Paul Stuart as well, as Stuart's is at 45th and Madison - a half block from Carmina, at 45th, between Madison and Park (in the Roosevelt Hotel building), and Kamakura on Madison Ave., between 47th and 48th Sts. Otherwise, a stroll up Madison Avenue from 42nd to 57th Sts. or thereabouts will expose you to much of what is available as menswear (and footwear - Alden has a shop on Madison between 43rd and 44th, along with the other shoe stores along the street).
I subscribe to these recommendations, especially the idea of window shopping this whole area. Paul Stuart just redid their shoe department.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
269 Posts
I am going to be in NYC at the end of September for work and want to use my spare time (mainly) hitting up some shoe stores to try and find lasts for future buys. I am staying the Hilton Midtown (W54th and 6th Ave). I've found the Crockett & Jones and Carmina stores. I'm also planning on stopping at Kamakura to look at their shirts. Does anyone have rec'd stores that are a close walk that I should hit up?

My buying range is the $300-$600, so the higher end shoes aren't on the radar.

Another idea is to window shop all the recommendations and get sized for Euro shoes. Then, go to www.herring.com

Ijs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any locals know if Citi Shoes closed? I was doing some last minute prep for my trip and Google says “Permanently Closed.” The web link from their Facebook page was dead.

· Registered
13,646 Posts
Any locals know if Citi Shoes closed? I was doing some last minute prep for my trip and Google says "Permanently Closed." The web link from their Facebook page was dead.

Holy Cow, I just checked on-line and, as you note, Google, plus, Yelp show it as closed. That store had been there a long time. I know I went by it earlier in the year (I'd even say, this summer) and it was still opened.

Hence, I'm guessing it closed pretty recently. I might be in that area for a meeting this week; if so, I'll check it out and report back, but based on the web info, it sure looks closed. That's shame as it was a really good store - not cheap, but excellent selection.

· Registered
4,166 Posts
Not quite what you asked for, but...

* Bukhara Grill 217 E49th has a very good all-you can eat lunchtime Indian buffet
* Yakitori Totto 251 W55th is an authentic Japanese yakitori bar
* Le Colonial 149 E57th has an excellent set lunch

More food recommendations if requested :)

· Registered
7,067 Posts
Holy Cow, I just checked on-line and, as you note, Google, plus, Yelp show it as closed. That store had been there a long time. I know I went by it earlier in the year (I'd even say, this summer) and it was still opened.

Hence, I'm guessing it closed pretty recently. I might be in that area for a meeting this week; if so, I'll check it out and report back, but based on the web info, it sure looks closed. That's shame as it was a really good store - not cheap, but excellent selection.
For better or worse, the shop is closed - certainly, the store's windows were papered over when I walked by this past weekend. I suspect that it may have fallen victim to a combination of rising rents, and a less-than-perfect location (Park Avenue doesn't generally have that much foot traffic in search of consumer goods along it, certainly not north of Grand Central).

· Registered
758 Posts

Sadly, they suddenly closed about a month ago.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Unfortunately I didn’t get to spend as much time as I wanted window shopping since the UN blew up the airport commute and really cut into my time. I was able to visit Carmina, Crockett & Jones, Paul Stuart, J Press and Kamarura. Bought a shirt at Kamarura and got a couple of lasts at the shoe shops to use in the future.

· Registered
13,646 Posts
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Unfortunately I didn't get to spend as much time as I wanted window shopping since the UN blew up the airport commute and really cut into my time. I was able to visit Carmina, Crockett & Jones, Paul Stuart, J Press and Kamarura. Bought a shirt at Kamarura and got a couple of lasts at the shoe shops to use in the future.

Understand on the traffic as I live about 20 blocks north of the UN and feel "trapped" up here until the UN General Assembly ends.

Glad you hit Kamakura - I recently had a great experience there as the salespeople are excellent.

What shirt did you get there - did it take a bit to zero in on your size and "fit" as, and I'm just going to say it, its sizing/cut matrix is a bit kooky? That said, the saleswoman who worked with me help me get it right and I love the shirt.

Smart move on the lasts - now you can order on-line knowing you have the fit down.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.