Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been a poor student until recently and never needed or could afford a good sports jacket. Now that I have finished school and started working, time has come to get a good one ... Can you learned folks give me suggestions for a traditional, proper fitting sport jacket? I am willing to spend upto $200. Are there specific brands/models I should be looking at?

Please excuse me if this has been covered before.

· Registered
5,943 Posts
If you're not averse to it, I would strongly suggest that you try to find a Harris tweed (any maker!) in a thrift store. These are *very* cheap, werar like iron, and are a great place to start for someone experimenting with their trad. style.

However, since you're in Florida, it might be more practical to go for a lightweight navy blazer. Here, I would recommend Brooks, whose blazers can be found on ebay pretty cheaply. (About $50 for a very nice 3/2 wool sack.) You could also check out the thrift exchange. If you're a 44R a lovely Gieves and Hawkes blazer will be going up there shortly--a steal at $45 shipped! :icon_smile_wink:

· Registered
1,387 Posts
^
I agree that a navy blazer is about your only option for a first jacket. You can find these all over the place but $200 will limit you a bit. Maybe consider spending a bit more and getting a BB sack blazer on sale? If you are looking for trad do a search on eBay and other site for a BB "University" blazer. This was a recent sack offering that many AAAT members purchased and speak well of - I believe you could find an unworn example for $300 or so. I think it was on clearance at BB for about $325 not long ago...

· Registered
1,994 Posts
If you are looking for trad do a search on eBay and other site for a BB "University" blazer. This was a recent sack offering that many AAAT members purchased and speak well of - I believe you could find an unworn example for $300 or so. I think it was on clearance at BB for about $325 not long ago...
Probably not a good idea for someone in Florida.

· Registered
1,281 Posts
I have been a poor student until recently and never needed or could afford a good sports jacket. Now that I have finished school and started working, time has come to get a good one ... Can you learned folks give me suggestions for a traditional, proper fitting sport jacket? I am willing to spend upto $200. Are there specific brands/models I should be looking at?

Please excuse me if this has been covered before.
1st jacket = Navy Blazer. Brooks Brothers or J. Press are good jackets. A navy blazer can generally be worn year round. Like wnh said, eBay is your friend if you only have a budget of $200.

2nd jacket = Tweed. Harris Tweed is excellent. Perfect for autumn and winter.

Cheers.

· Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies folks. My budget is not strictly 200, I can go upto 400 if need be -but only if I am getting a good jacket that I will use.

Plain ol' navy blue, eh? I was thinking you guys would suggest herringbone or houndstooth jackets. Will it be a mistake to get a harris tweed for my first jacket?

· Registered
1,291 Posts
Thanks for the replies folks. My budget is not strictly 200, I can go upto 400 if need be -but only if I am getting a good jacket that I will use.

Plain ol' navy blue, eh? I was thinking you guys would suggest herringbone or harris tweed! Will it be a mistake to get a harris tweed for my first jacket?
Yeah...:icon_smile_big:

The plain navy blue blazer will give you flexibilityand options for dress-up and dress-down which just aren't possible with tweed (visualize everything from charcoal flannels through khakis to Levi's for trousers, white OCBD/tie to open collar polo for shirts)...I know--I've been there, several lifetimes ago.

hbs

· Registered
1,994 Posts
Plain ol' navy blue, eh? I was thinking you guys would suggest herringbone or houndstooth jackets. Will it be a mistake to get a harris tweed for my first jacket?
Yes. Navy you can wear year-round. Tweed, not so much, and you probably have even less chance to wear it in Florida. "Plain o' navy blue" is so highly touted because it goes with darn near anything. Your first suit shouldn't be patterned, and neither should your first jacket.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Yes. Navy you can wear year-round. Tweed, not so much, and you probably have even less chance to wear it in Florida. "Plain o' navy blue" is so highly touted because it goes with darn near anything. Your first suit shouldn't be patterned, and neither should your first jacket.
Yes, yes and yes again.

--A.Q.

· Registered
1,709 Posts
Srivats. This is exactly what you need to do, exactly. Go to a Dillards and get fitted for a jacket. Get the measurements and get the guy to write them down. Don't buy anything. Start looking on Ebay or hang tight for something on the thrift thread. Don'y buy anything but a sack navy blazer for your first coat. Trust me.

· Registered
1,994 Posts
Srivats. This is exactly what you need to do, exactly. Go to a Dillards and get fitted for a jacket. Get the measurements and get the guy to write them down. Don't buy anything. Start looking on Ebay or hang tight for something on the thrift thread. Don'y buy anything but a sack navy blazer for your first coat. Trust me.
Alternatively, go to a thrift store and buy a jacket (doesn't matter what it is, but bonus points if it's something good) that fits you just as you want it to fit. Take a friend if you're not sure how it should fit. Make a friend if you don't have one who knows how it should fit. Print out pictures of how it should fit at the very least. Then take it home, take the measurements, and figure out the approximate size (even easier if the jacket has a size tag in an inside pocket).

Then do an eBay search for jackets in that size, a size larger, and a size smaller (if you're a 40, search 40, 39, and 41) with they keywords "Brooks Brothers". Save the search, and check it often. Do another search for "Southwick," one for "J. Press," and maybe a few others. When you find a navy blazer, check the measurements and compare to your own. If the sleeves are too long, that's okay. Too short, probably not. If the jacket's too long (1" or less), that's okay. Too short, no can do. Chest and shoulders have to be perfect.

Or, if you really don't mind, spend the $400 on something like this O'Connell's blue blazer. But eBay can easily save you a couple hundred bucks.

· Registered
1,937 Posts
Jacket

Young man,

Congrats on your graduation. I also advise outlets, if you can. They still are a good source. Years ago, picked up a gorgeous Ralph Lauren charcoal suit. With a chalk stripe. Super 120 wool. Made in Canada. New. For 89 bucks, marked down very agressively.
You can do it.
I recommend the Navy.
Also, for a first jacket. Look at J Crew, and Bananna Republic. When they have sales, you can get a nice navy jacket under 100 bucks as well.
They are not a bad start my friend. For your present situation. And go forward as you progress in your career.
Also, Joseph Banks, I hate to say this, have a lot of sales. Can get a nice suit for under 200 bucks.
Take your time my friend. You will get these things. It takes a lifetime, so do not rush.
I know, BEEN THERE MYSELF. As you were.

Good luck, and welcome

· Registered
1,937 Posts
SRIVATS

My friend

Some other suggestions. I dont recommend Ebay right now. Until you learn clothing etc. Go look at stuff, see if you are getting something decent.
I for instance, like the J Crew Khaki pants. I got my first Brooks Brothers suit in the later 1960 time. Most people here rave about Brooks Brothers. And buy their khakis.
Everything is made in China, I wont pay the Brooks price, for something else that is made in China, and cheaper.
Also, the J Crew Khaki is nicer.
As I say, everything is made elsewhere, most of your British shirts and suits are as well.
So, good luck

· Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wonderful suggestion. I am going to do exactly that, since I am not sure about what size I should go for. Thanks so much!

· Registered
172 Posts
since you're a young guy (like me), I'd suggest you get horn buttons (or plastic) on the blazer, rather than brass.
Brass buttons are nice, but they can look a little stodgy when worn by a young fellow.

I do have a blazer with brass buttons that I like, but i get a lot more use out of my plastic-button blazer

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.