Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to everyone

I just bought a pair of lottuse double monk , very nice goodyear spainsh shoes that cost about 300 dollars.

Thay had a black calf and brwon suede. I got brown suede for no particular reason , I just have a few black calf.

The thing is, I am thinking about changing for black calf since I dont experience with suede, never had one. I would like to know if they are difficult to take care of, to meke them look good. What is the life expentancy and good aspect compare to a black calf? do you think is more convenient a black calf? and if they get dirt , is difficult to erase dirt and make then look good compare to black claf? does suede gtes more wrinkles compare to calf?

I am sorry for this many questions, but the seller did not seen to know much, just wanted to sell, not very proffesional

thanks very much for your attention

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Suede is pretty easy to care for. Avoid water and use a suede brush sparingly when necessary. In my experience, calf will last longer than suede if both are worn the same amount and cared for properly.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Calf may last longer,

but suede is a necessary ingredient in every man's wardrobe. Brown suede goes great with grey. Don't wear them in a heavy rain or snow, and brush them after every wear. Look on the bright side: You'll never have to polish them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Keep them...

I find suede to be way more versatile than black calf. Black calf to me is boring. Suede can be dressed up or down, looks great with tan, grey, blue olive and everything else.

Buy yourself a good protectant and spray them before you first use them. I use the John Lobb suede protector, but I am assuming all shoe companies probably sell their own and it is probably the same. I don´t know, just recommend you spray them. Second, get a good suede brush and brush them after each wear. That is all.

I have a number of suede shoes and I have never had a problem with them. Also, don´t be afraid of the rain. If they get wet, let them dry naturally and brush them back to life. They are very sturdy. I have a pair of JM Weston suedes that are at least 12 years old and have been through rain and snow all over the world and they still look spectacular.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Brown suede is a great choice with Gray flannel. A very important shoe in a mans wardrobe. Black shoes are great for evenings but if you already have a couple of pair why not use the Suede. It is also great with jeans, or casually with an odd trouser, jacket etc..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Another big thing to avoid with suede, especially black, is salt - as in the salt that is put on the pavement in the winter. It can leave a nasty discoloration that is very hard to get out and could very likely be quite bad for the leather.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.