Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Do you think that double monk shoes are more suitable for black and brown calf than leather? I mean, I see major brands use to offer double monks in calf and single mok in calf or leather. Does this could means that double is a little more formal than single monk?

best regards

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I think you confused some terms. Calfskin and suede are types of leather. You probably see more options in a single monk because it's simpler and more accessible design. Because single monks are simpler it makes them more formal than double monks. But they are both appropriate in suede or calfskin, though I probably wouldn't want a double monk in black.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Calfskin is a particular type of hide, also called a type of leather. Suede is the sanded interior portion of a hide, also known as leather. Suede can be made from many types of hide, most commonly cowhide, which as the name suggests is from an older animal.

I agree that the single monk is more commonly seen in suede, one form of can be reverse calf. I find it looks better as a single monk, but that's just a personal preference.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I own double monks in brown calf and suede (or, if you prefer, "reverse-calf".) The former are by Santoni; the latter are made by Borgioli. Unusually, I am complimented on them by complete strangers.

I believe that the style originated with Lobb and, given that the streets of Paris were awash with this style long before they made their debut elsewhere, my guess would be that they originated with Lobb Paris.

I do not much care for black shoes, but I must tell you that Harris makes the most extraordinary black double monk with a Goodyear welt, triple stitching and sloped almond-shaped toe. Trouble is, they didn't fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.