Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am faced with a dilemna that I need some help with. Over the years as my father has retired, my brothers and I have raided his closet of virtually everything, only certain pieces that are is favorites have been off limits. One brother took all of his Oxxford suits, another his casual wear, Sulka jackets, JLs, and some vintage eyewear. I never really fitted into much, but took things easy to tailor, but I got all his Georg Jensen cufflinks and some others so I am not complaining. Now I have first pick on some trenches and need some help.

My father has a number of Burberry trenches that he has collected over the years. There are three that fit me particular well, they are:

1. A 1960s Burberrys Commuter II that is 67% Terylene and cotton
2. A SB tan Burberry from maybe the early 90s. I believe that this is 100% cotton, but can't recall off the top of my head.
3. A DB light tan/stone with brass D rings and leather from maybe the late 90s.

All are in excellent shape, so wear is not an issue. Which one would you suggest that I take and why? Any input is appreciated as the other ones are going to the siblings.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I am faced with a dilemna that I need some help with. Over the years as my father has retired, my brothers and I have raided his closet of virtually everything, only certain pieces that are is favorites have been off limits. One brother took all of his Oxxford suits, another his casual wear, Sulka jackets, JLs, and some vintage eyewear. I never really fitted into much, but took things easy to tailor, but I got all his Georg Jensen cufflinks and some others so I am not complaining. Now I have first pick on some trenches and need some help.

My father has a number of Burberry trenches that he has collected over the years. There are three that fit me particular well, they are:

1. A 1960s Burberrys Commuter II that is 67% Terylene and cotton
2. A SB tan Burberry from maybe the early 90s. I believe that this is 100% cotton, but can't recall off the top of my head.
3. A DB light tan/stone with brass D rings and leather from maybe the late 90s.

All are in excellent shape, so wear is not an issue. Which one would you suggest that I take and why? Any input is appreciated as the other ones are going to the siblings.

Thanks in advance
I would take the Burberry Commuter. Because I like single breasted trench coats without a belt. Plus it's vintage 60s Burberry, what can be better?!? I love vintage coats...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would take the Burberry Commuter. Because I like single breasted trench coats without a belt. Plus it's vintage 60s Burberry, what can be better?!? I love vintage coats...
SB without a belt? How can you even call this a trench? Where are you supposed to put your 'nades? In the pockets? :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
SB without a belt? How can you even call this a trench? Where are you supposed to put your 'nades? In the pockets? :icon_smile_big:
I like mac type trench coats. Since I don't regularly carry around hand grenades and the like I find that this suits me just fine. If you care to remember the movie Bullitt, the killer kept his Winchester pump shotgun in his single breasted unbelted trench, granted it collapsed into two pieces...nonetheless :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Take "3"

That sounds the sharpest to me.

So what does dad wear now, leisure suits and plastic ponchos? You guys are stripping him bare. Here he's worked all that time, and now it sounds like you all are leaving him with nothing nice to wear. What does mom think about it?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I like mac type trench coats. Since I don't regularly carry around hand grenades and the like I find that this suits me just fine. If you care to remember the movie Bullitt, the killer kept his Winchester pump shotgun in his single breasted unbelted trench, granted it collapsed into two pieces...nonetheless :icon_smile_big:
Hey, don't you know you're only allowed to mention Bullitt in threads about turtlenecks!?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
As attractive as vintage clothes are, I find with old stock that's been hanging for a while (as I head into my closet and find my first blazer, purchased freshman year of university) sometimes there is thread fatigue. I'd go for a garment which is servicable and isn't going to fall apart. Burberry is a nice brand and great stuff, but I don't know about a jacket that's 40 years old.

That said, be sure to buy your dad something nice to replace it. My dad wears a lot of casual clothes, as did his father and as he's gotten older, I've seen him toss perfectly good dress clothes (in my size) into the garbage to clear up closet space in favour of fleece jackets and hunting fatigues. Just because he's retired doesn't mean inactive and I'm certain he'd probably pass more stuff onto you, if he gets some age and activity appropriate stuff.

Besides, a fleece jacket is about 45 bucks, embroidered with his initials or name. A burberry trench is 800 CDN at HR on clearance. Who knows what some subtle bribery could bring in the future.

Thomas

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the advice. I laughed out loud a few times reading the posts.

It is true, we have stripped my Dad bare of his clothing, but no worries. He held onto everything that he really wants. He has about a dozen oxxford trousers, about 30 dress shirts he held onto and at least half a dozen blazers to get him through the year. He is also not shy about asking for things back if he wants them. Over Thanksgiving, my brother was wearing a bespoke heavy Tweed jacket that my Dad always liked. He made by brother take it off and give to him. He went and hung it back in his closet. The whole episode and conversation made me laugh for at least 30 minutes. It could have been one of the funniest exchanges ever, since basically the entire outfit that my brother was wearing was my Dad´s; Tweed jacket, custom Oxxford flannel trousers, Charvet rep tie and EG Dovers. I think the EG´s were actually my brothers, but my Dad assumed it was all his, liked the outfit together, which 90% was his and took it all back. Even the EGs which were not his. He went up changedd and came down dressed exactly as my brother. I guess you had to be there, but it was hysterical.

My brother did just fine, swapping upstairs, but the rest of the Family, including the wives who think we are completely insane laughed for a while. I think we had at least twenty toasts on the slap down my brother got.

The worst part, he lost his pair of EG Dovers. He waited over 16 weeks to get them and my Dad took them. I am laughing about it right now.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
As a longtime Burberry owner/wearer (I've actually worn one out and am working on my second), my recommendation is to go with the third option...if it's not double-breasted, it just doesn't seem a trench. Rather, it becomes, just a raincoat! :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the advice. I laughed out loud a few times reading the posts.

It is true, we have stripped my Dad bare of his clothing, but no worries. He held onto everything that he really wants. He has about a dozen oxxford trousers, about 30 dress shirts he held onto and at least half a dozen blazers to get him through the year. He is also not shy about asking for things back if he wants them. Over Thanksgiving, my brother was wearing a bespoke heavy Tweed jacket that my Dad always liked. He made by brother take it off and give to him. He went and hung it back in his closet. The whole episode and conversation made me laugh for at least 30 minutes. It could have been one of the funniest exchanges ever, since basically the entire outfit that my brother was wearing was my Dad´s; Tweed jacket, custom Oxxford flannel trousers, Charvet rep tie and EG Dovers. I think the EG´s were actually my brothers, but my Dad assumed it was all his, liked the outfit together, which 90% was his and took it all back. Even the EGs which were not his. He went up changedd and came down dressed exactly as my brother. I guess you had to be there, but it was hysterical.

My brother did just fine, swapping upstairs, but the rest of the Family, including the wives who think we are completely insane laughed for a while. I think we had at least twenty toasts on the slap down my brother got.

The worst part, he lost his pair of EG Dovers. He waited over 16 weeks to get them and my Dad took them. I am laughing about it right now.
What a great family holiday story; thank you so much for sharing the laugh!

Please let your father know I'm 56 years old, wear a 42 regular, and am available for adoption...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Take 1 and 3. No 2 sounds awful. And as someone else said if it's SB it isn't a trench coat.
Also "leather" what on No. 3?

And while we're in trench coat territory, anyone got any tips for finding vintage military trench coats?
I completely agree. My apologies, the leather I was referring to was the leather on the buckles, I was not clear.

So, you will all be happy to know that I made my selections. I am taking the SB "raincoat" in 67% Terylene, 33% Cotton and the DB classic Trench in all cotton. None of my brothers really cared, so I may just take all three. I figure I can leave one in the house, one in the car and one in the office.

One last thing, is anyone familiar with the 67% terylene, 33% cotton coats? I tried researching them, but really could not find anything, other than it is the official name of Polyester. This particular jacket is from the early 60s and has a large Commuter II label on the inside. It is in perfect shape, but I just was not sure how this coat would hold up today.

I am not much in "preserving" this jacket because it is my fathers, I have enough stuff of his that I will pass on, I want to be able to wear it and enjoy it and put it through paces of everday life. Not sure if this Commuter II would hold up, since I know nothing about the terylene/cotton combo, so any insight would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I am not much in "preserving" this jacket because it is my fathers, I have enough stuff of his that I will pass on, I want to be able to wear it and enjoy it and put it through paces of everday life. Not sure if this Commuter II would hold up, since I know nothing about the terylene/cotton combo, so any insight would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Well, it's "held up" since the '60s, apparently. I guess you'll be the test of that, since I seriously doubt that very many others have just this sort of coat to have developed a wearability quotient. Throw it in the car and see for yourself how it holds up. After all, since you have indicated you are not really intending to preserve it to pass on, and since it was basically "free," what difference does it make how long it lasts, anyway?:icon_smile:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are absolutely right, I guess in my mind I was debating the 100% cotton vs poly/cotton blend. My first trench out of college when I got my first real job was a 100% cotton trench, that I still have by the way. I seem to like the drape and feel of the blend a bit better and I was just wondering what everyone thought of the move from 100% cotton to a blend. Although, it seems that even Burberry did blends going back as far as he 60s.

Regardless, I will enjoy it and if nothing else my burberry check from the 60s is different than the check of today, seen everywhere.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.