Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a stiff wing collar that needs to be laundered and I tried doing it by hand and discovered there were some things not meant to be dome by hand. Does anybody know any places in Chicago that will starch collars? Or should I have a go at doing it by hand again? I will sort of need it done soon.

·
Registered
784 Posts
In East Chicago Indiana

On Chicago Avenue in East Chicago is Sam Sing Laundry. They've been doing my stiff collars for 25 years now. Perfect work for not much money.

In starching one's own stiff collars the trick is to soak the collars in a medium solution so the starch is in the lining in the center of the collar fabric. Remove excess starch from the outer layers. While moist press the collars on the reverse side and then the finished side squeezing the strach from the center to the outsides. A little Borax in the solution will render a polished gleam to the collars.

Use pressure on the heel of the iron as you work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried Davis Imperial and got some funny looks until they told me that it could only be ready by Monday. This is a bit of an emergency and I need it today, but try as hard as I may I can never get the thing to be as perfectly smooth as it originally was or to have the waxy shine it once had. I did try using borax, I must be doing something wrong. It seems that even on low temperatures I get a brownish tinge to parts that is clearly form burning starch, I've tried several methods and the outcome is similar.

Would Sam Sing be able to deal with emergencies?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I tried Davis Imperial and got some funny looks until they told me that it could only be ready by Monday. This is a bit of an emergency and I need it today, but try as hard as I may I can never get the thing to be as perfectly smooth as it originally was or to have the waxy shine it once had. I did try using borax, I must be doing something wrong. It seems that even on low temperatures I get a brownish tinge to parts that is clearly form burning starch, I've tried several methods and the outcome is similar.

Would Sam Sing be able to deal with emergencies?
I don't think he would. The owner does them himself and I know it's time consuming for them. They're washed twice, and then soaked for a period of time in the starch. Then the excess has to be washed off, then drying, moistening, and the finish.

Sometimes discoloration is the result of something on the plate of the iron.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.