Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always have my daily shirts finished with "No Starch." But I understand that a formal shirt with a pique front requires starch. Is this correct? If so, ultra-heavy? For those who wear formal attire frequently, how do you have this style of shirt finished?

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
Unless the bib was made very stiff, use lots of starch.

If it was made stiff, do not unless you want the high shine.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
My formal shirts with pique bib, cuffs, and turn down collar ....

from CT shirts are very stiff and require no starch. This is good because I do my own shirts and I do nor want to mess around with starch. Some shirts would probably require it, but this was one of the things I inquired about before buying. As far as I'm concerned, starch went out in the 19th century along with boiled shirts. I do not wish to bring it back.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
A little starch . . .

doesn't hurt with formal or semi-formal shirts. Since I also do my own, I just give the cuffs, collars and fronts a spritz, and it helps them hold up through a wearing. Doing this avoids the annoyance of starched body and arms, which can get a bit uncomfortable.

Of course, if you have them done, it's either/or, so since you can't control how they apply the starch and it's generally all over, avoid it if the front is stiff and starch bothers you would be my advice.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If you're having it done by a laundry, a good laundry should know how to starch and finish a formal shirt. Discuss it with them. If they don't know what you're talking about, or if you try them and they do a poor job, try another laundry.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
It is possible for marcella to be so highly starched and pressed that it takes on many of the qualities of plain starched linen, with the ghost of a pattern underneath - in which case you probably could get the shine. I home starch all my dress shirts with a starch solution, on the rare occasions when I wear them; apart from the fact that I am a traditionalist, all my shirts are vintage and the interlinings are not stiff enough to carry the look I am after without the aid of starch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.