Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here is excited about the new movie? The recent interviews and new trailer are putting to rest many of my concerns. I'm really starting to see it come together in my head. For those who haven't seen it, here is the YouTube link to the high definition trailer.

You can also view it in lower resolution (but faster loading) on the main page of the official website.

https://www.startrekmovie.com

Recently a few of my friends have said something to the extent of, "This looks pretty cool," and, "Yeah, I think I might actually see it with you.":aportnoy:

This trailer is the best one I have ever seen for a Trek movie. This is also perhaps the biggest and best marketing campaign since The Motion Picture. Here's hoping that unlike TMP, the high budget is a good thing and gives us more than just arresting visuals. While visually stunning with a wonderful and intellectual score by Jerry Goldsmith, it was pretty slow paced and the story was mostly a rehash of episodes of the television series.

Thoughts? Flames? Vulcan mind melds?

· Registered
1,346 Posts
Count me in. My brother and I will be seeing Watchmen today, so that is one of the many trailers I will be looking forward to seeing on the big screen. He and my dad were huge trekkies growing up, while I stayed in comic book world mostly. They even went to the Star Trek convention one year.

J.J. Abrams is a smart guy. He knows what people want to see. I have faith in him to change what needs to be changed for current audiences, but keep the very important aspects for true fans.

· Registered
266 Posts
The key to Star Trek's longevity, to me, is the characters. After seeing the trailer before the Watchmen, I'm worried that the film will skimp the characters for really cool visual effects (and yes, I know that trailers tend to emphasize spectacle). There's an awful lot of potential there, and my kids are dying to see it, but I'm a bit concerned that it's going to be another summer blockbuster that somehow forgot to include an even semi-cohesive plot.

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
J.J.'s assured the fans that the characters will take centre stage. After seeing Mission: Impossible III I certainly hope so. Despite that the movie had some flaws (including really erroneous medical research, if any), he and the writers know how to create suspense and build their characters.

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't say William Shatner was necessarily a bad actor. He had some good moments in the first and second season and you have to keep in mind that it was a different school of acting than now. In the third season, however, he had definitely fallen into self-parody of his own character. I can't blame him since half of that season had some really poorly written material. "Spock's Brain" as season premiere... need I say more? I think his best performances have been when he just stopped trying too hard. Director Nicholas Meyer purposely took many takes of him in Star Trek II and VI so he wouldn't be so overblown. I also liked the scene in Star Trek III where he absorbs his son's death slowly and ends up tripping, falling into the captain's chair. Shatner still won't say if that was a happy accident or on purpose.

Just my opinion. I've always been a bigger fan of Spock, though. :icon_smile_big:

· Registered
4 Posts
J.J. Abrams is a smart guy. He knows what people want to see. I have faith in him to change what needs to be changed for current audiences, but keep the very important aspects for true fans.
I'm hoping so. If he can make Star Trek more accessible to the younger generations, then that can open up the franchise again. I was reading somewhere online today that if all goes well, one of the previous writers might create a new TV series that follow the timeline before the first series. It really depends on the interest, since Enterprise was canceled due to bad ratings and minimal interest.

· Registered
3,297 Posts
I wouldn't say William Shatner was necessarily a bad actor. He had some good moments in the first and second season and you have to keep in mind that it was a different school of acting than now. In the third season, however, he had definitely fallen into self-parody of his own character. I can't blame him since half of that season had some really poorly written material. "Spock's Brain" as season premiere... need I say more? I think his best performances have been when he just stopped trying too hard. Director Nicholas Meyer purposely took many takes of him in Star Trek II and VI so he wouldn't be so overblown. I also liked the scene in Star Trek III where he absorbs his son's death slowly and ends up tripping, falling into the captain's chair. Shatner still won't say if that was a happy accident or on purpose.

Just my opinion. I've always been a bigger fan of Spock, though. :icon_smile_big:
Shatner played the part well I thought. There were some episodes that were silly but I thought that was more the story line than his acting. City on the Edge of Forever was well written and well acted by him. I also liked the Enemy Within but some of the lighter episodes like Mudd's Women were done well too. I thought he did an excellent job in ST I & II.

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I loved that line! Not only was it amusing, it really showed that Vulcans and Humans had been working together for a long time. The English translated edition of "The Teachings of Surak" in Enterprise was also a nice touch in that regard.

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, but Vulcans HAVE performed it. In the original Human. :p

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's going to be different for sure, but if the story's good and we still see the characters develop into the ones we know... well, I'm fine with that. I can still enjoy "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" even knowing they don't fit perfectly into the new timeline presented in this movie. Hell, they had all sorts of stuff that didn't fit into the regular series enough as it is! ("Time warp" and warp drive being a recent innovation, Spock's erratic temperament, Pike's comment about women being on the bridge, among many others.)

If it gets people attracted to the original series, all the better.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
This is an awesome story about a surprise screening in Austin. The fans thought they were seeing a brand new print of Wrath of Khan. After a few staged theatrics, they ended up being able to see the new film. Very solid reception from these fans, who are among the most die hard.

https://www.aintitcool.com/node/40683

I also heard that if the new film is a giant success, which most are predicting, then they will start a new series in the same "reboot" mode on one of the major networks.

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is not film number XII, it is XI. And so far the reviews indicate it is very good.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.