Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar with this maker of sportcoats and blazers? I had never heard of them (him?) before, but there are several rather attractive sportcoats under this label available on eBay.

·
Registered
27,443 Posts
Stanley Blacker is a defunct menswear brand. Stanley Blacker used to be a low to mid-range menswear brand, comparable to what Jos A Bank is today.
Generally true, but there was a lot of variance in the quality of their tailored clothing. Some poor and some quite good. In general, I think it would be more accurate to compare them to what Jos A Bank was making and selling 30 years ago, which means far better than anything Bank sells now.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Stanley Blacker is a defunct menswear brand. Stanley Blacker used to be a low to mid-range menswear brand, comparable to what Jos A Bank is today.
If the jacket fits and material is in pristine condition, why not give it a chance? Since it is a defunct brand, Obviously the construction quality won't be on par as a Southwick or Hickey Freeman, but you can do a lot worse.

From another forum, the blazer looks good. Worse case scenario, you are out a few bucks. Best case scenario, you add a unique piece to the wardrobe.
https://www.unabashedlyprep.com/site/entry/vintage-stanley-blacker-blazer/

Of course, YMMV, but hey it's part of the fun especially with thrifting and eBay.

·
Registered
27,443 Posts
Ivy Style just did a piece on Stanley Blacker, https://www.ivy-style.com/stanley-blacker-mr-sport-coat.html.

I recently thrifted a hopsack navy blazer with patch pockets and I think the quality is quite good. I had a Stanley Blacker jacket in my early twenty that my father, who was quite a clothes horse, helped my pick out was also good quality and lasted me until I outgrew it.
Thank you for the link! I enjoyed it. And the ad photo reminded me that around 1969 I bought a Stanley Blacker navy blazer of my own. Perhaps unwisely it was DB. And while it fit beautifully and was very comfortable, my mature self questions the desirability of a DB cut with all the features of an Ivy style jacket, notably Blacker's beautiful, and very discrete natural shoulders. The natural shoulders on Blacker's Ivy style jackets were among the best, as clearly shown in the ad's photo. Here's another Blacker Ivy jacket -

Photograph Gesture Collar Tie Suit

But there was a maker who did them even better, Norman Hilton. Not only the perfect natural shoulders, but the entire cut was endowed with a sublime elegance -

Clothing Water Dress shirt Tie Sleeve

Attachments

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Since 1975, when I first began selling menswear, Stanley Blacker has not been a particularly respected brand. They were seen as being at least a step down from Palm Beach, if that means anything to anyone.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Generally true, but there was a lot of variance in the quality of their tailored clothing. Some poor and some quite good. In general, I think it would be more accurate to compare them to what Jos A Bank was making and selling 30 years ago, which means far better than anything Bank sells now.
Excellent point. Though low to mid level, it's generally better made than today's offerings.

Stanley Blacker made some nice sack blazers and Harris Tweeds, but also some awful wool/poly mix blazers. You can find some traditional styled, vintage pieces that you can easily wear today, and there are also strange cuts with crazy lapels that you should only wear for Halloween if you plan to dress up as Herb Tarlek.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.