Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting a suit done MTM (either LS or Mr. Ned's, but that's a different topic) and was planning on ditching belt loops for braces. Anyways, I was just wondering what is the proper etiquette for wearing braces; should the braces match the color of my shoes, or another article of clothing I'm wearing?

·
Registered
163 Posts
The leather ends of your braces should probably match your shoes - I think most people would though some don't care (you don't see the brace ends like you do a belt). I buy my Thurston braces with the white ends and wear any shoes I like.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Braces are underwear and should not be seen, and hence allow for some fun in colorr, etc. I have a beautiful pair of royal purple thurstons that I love. Will be wearing them tomorrow (though in that case you will be able to see them, as parrt of a costume).

Get whatever colors you want, and just make sure they're quality.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
As the previous poster said ....

Get the Thurston braces with the white goatskin keepers and wear whatever color and style of shoes you want. If I were having a suit made from scratch, I wouldn't have the belt loops put on. With rtw, I don't care if they are there or not. Some are very hard to remove when they are sewn between the lining and the trouser material. I always keep my jacket on, so the braces can't be seen.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Like the woman's thong, braces are part underwear, part fashion accessory, a hybrid of sorts. Regardless of what category it goes under, I do think it should be of a loud material, such as satin silk, and color, such as green with yellow paisleys. For business, the "tabs" of one's braces should match the leather and color of one's footwear, but other than that, go crazy!

If you are really interested about wearing braces properly, you should be concerned about your pants, and whether or not they were "cut" for wear with braces

·
Registered
487 Posts
The leather ends in theory can match your other leathers, but that is not really necessary. As other posters have mentioned, braces are not really for others to see. It is the standard practice on Savile Row to sell braces with white ends and that should work with anything you wear.

Cordovan

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
In theory, the findings should coordinate with other leathers as has been explained. But since I have never liked black leather on braces, mine didn't when wearing black shoes. The findings were either brown leather, gut (white) or silk cord. (off-white) And in theory they are underwear, and a gentleman never removes his jacket, but fortunately I am not a gentleman, and often find office thermostats too toasty, and therefore would. So, my braces would need to work with shirt and tie, and not scare anyone should I decide on patterned socks. However, I did have a lovely silk set that I was given by a girlfriend that was woven in a design that included naked ladies. Then, I kept the jacket on!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.