Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll probably be laughed off the forum for asking this, but here it goes anyway... A few years ago, my wife gave me two pair of chinos from Penny's; they were one of their store brands, St. John's Bay. They have held up remarkably well, fit great, and look nice - the best part is that my wife claims she paid less than $20 per pair.

I went in to Penny's recently to buy more of these pants, and the SJB chinos that they had in stock did not seem to fit as well, nor did the fabric feel as nice. Is there a specific model I should be looking for or in the store, or ordering online? The guy in their menswear department was pretty clueless, and even though I was wearing a pair of the old pants for comparison, he was unable to help me.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I actually thought that Penney's had basically replaced St. John's Bay with the new American Living brand so I'm surprised that you can even find anything. Even if they haven't been replaced as a brand, it seems that when I've been in the stores recently, that American Living is where they are putting their resources these days. That's likely what's happened to the quality.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I'll probably be laughed off the forum for asking this, but here it goes anyway... A few years ago, my wife gave me two pair of chinos from Penny's; they were one of their store brands, St. John's Bay. They have held up remarkably well, fit great, and look nice - the best part is that my wife claims she paid less than $20 per pair.
No, no, we loved those and you couldn't beat them when on sale for $20 or less. They discontinued the version you have and came out w/ another style which doesn't hold a candle to the original. Hold on to the ones you have!

Brian

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually thought that Penney's had basically replaced St. John's Bay with the new American Living brand so I'm surprised that you can even find anything. Even if they haven't been replaced as a brand, it seems that when I've been in the stores recently, that American Living is where they are putting their resources these days. That's likely what's happened to the quality.
My "B-level" Penny's doesn't even carry American Living - they claim that it's reserved for the A-level stores. We get St. John's Bay and Stafford for store brands, which is disappointing because I hear American Living is actually decent value if you can get it on sale or clearance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, no, we loved those and you couldn't beat them when on sale for $20 or less. They discontinued the version you have and came out w/ another style which doesn't hold a candle to the original. Hold on to the ones you have!

Brian
That's disappointing; the reason I went to replace them is that my current pairs are starting to fray just a bit around the pant cuffs.

Obviously fit is fairly individual, and I have a decent sized waist (36 inch), which makes it hard to find pants that aren't super baggy in the leg and rear. These had fit the bill perfectly - can anyone recommend some other brands? When it comes to khakis, I have a hard time spending more than $30 or so per pair, because I tend to be pretty hard on them. How are the Land's End flat-front chinos?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.