Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,346 Posts
That dark brown and tan seersucker close to the top is EXACTLY what I want in a seersucker suit. I just don't want to go into my life savings to pay for it.:icon_smile: Thanks for the pics, some awfully beautiful pieces in there.

· Registered
647 Posts
Question: I am still admittedly viriginal in my exploration of suitable suitings (heh), but when does one wear most of these beasts? Do members of the fora wear these to the office? I could never see myself in most of those windowpanes or bold plaids. I appreciate that Oxxford is made in the USA and does good work, but why are so many of the fabrics so outlandish? One of the only pieces I really like is the herringbone with the storm tab, but I'll probably stick with Bookster at a fraction of the price. I understand that a manufacturer like Oxxford can't really show off their skills with just Navys and Charcoals, but that's my safety zone.

PS - the shoes look lovely.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
I think Oxxford's target customer is someone who can wear whatever they want, whenever they want. Let's face it, the average joe or even the average upper managment type doesn't wear brand new Oxxford clothing. I think it's safe to say Oxxford knows a lot more about their target customer then any of us do.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question: I am still admittedly viriginal in my exploration of suitable suitings (heh), but when does one wear most of these beasts? Do members of the fora wear these to the office? I could never see myself in most of those windowpanes or bold plaids. I appreciate that Oxxford is made in the USA and does good work, but why are so many of the fabrics so outlandish? One of the only pieces I really like is the herringbone with the storm tab, but I'll probably stick with Bookster at a fraction of the price. I understand that a manufacturer like Oxxford can't really show off their skills with just Navys and Charcoals, but that's my safety zone.

PS - the shoes look lovely.
The last photos of the brown glen plaid and brown linen are suitable for most offices.

Some people have businesses which allow them to wear sportscoats (e.g., gallery owners, writers, restaurant owners, etc.). I have to wear somber suits.

These models were made-up for the Oxxford retailers visiting the store to place their orders for next fall during January's market week. Generally, a manufacturer will want to create some interest.

· Registered
169 Posts
Minor detail, but is it Oxxford's style to produce window displays with (essentially) no pocket squares?

Granted, these works of art don't need much additional dressing, but why do it on some displays but not others?

Sorry to be anal on this.

· Registered
780 Posts
I think that many of the patterns are awful verging on garish.
That goes for the shirts too. Oxxford seems to be perpetually
playing catch-up with whatever comes out of Italy at the high
end.. and always gets it wrong, or at least it doesn't seem to
work. It reminds me of Allen-Edmonds' attempt, over the last
seven or eight years, to produce more fashionable shoes.
AE misses. Their shoes always look like they come from
Wisconsin, not Milan.

I can remember when Oxxford produced high quality very
conservative, even boring clothes. I didn't like them then,
because at the time I perferred more of a Paul Stuart,
Norman Hilton, style. Now their foray into a more
contemporary look has the same effect on me. I visited their
store in NewYork last fall. It was empty. I got a lot of attention.
They admired my jacket- unconstructed Belvest purchased
online. Nothing like it in the store. Nothing I would buy,
even if I could afford it. Now Jay Koss is another story.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.