Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up an Isaia sportscoat from STP. I can't decide whether it fits well or not. The armholes seem slightly slow and the shoulders seem slightly wide. There also doesn't seem to be enough waist suppression for my tastes. Any other opinions would be appreciated.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I like my jackets to be just a bit roomier than most here, so in that regard it looks fine to me with the exception of the area just beneath the collar in back. I like for my jackets to lay flat there and my tailor sometimes has to take out that little roll under the collar. I would do that with your jacket if it were mine.

Cruiser

·
Registered
119 Posts
From the pix, it does not seem to be a good fit for you. And, you seem to have buyers remorse judging by your comments. Any chance of returning it?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Looks good for out of the box. Some tailoring of OTR is almost inevitable and I think you're looking at only minor adjustments in this case. In addition to the area under the collar, you may also ask your tailor about the back of the shoulders. My tailor has a way of making that area lay flatter as well.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
It looks like the sleeves have been tailored? The armhole is not quite right. It should be higher.
That's a pretty standard armhole for Isaiah and many other OTR suits- they do that to accomodate a wide range of buyers. High armholes, once the providence of bespoke and MTM only are still not all that common in most OTR suits.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think it looks a little big - especially the photo showing the back - the shoulders are clearly too wide. More waist suppression can easily be accomplished by your tailor so that should not be a major concern. When designing my own suit I started off with more waist suppression, but quickly realized that most men would rather take in rather than let out. I'm quite certain most manufacturers also are guided by this reality and design accordingly.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I like my jackets to be just a bit roomier than most here, so in that regard it looks fine to me with the exception of the area just beneath the collar in back. I like for my jackets to lay flat there and my tailor sometimes has to take out that little roll under the collar. I would do that with your jacket if it were mine.

Cruiser
Yeah I like the amount of waist suppression in this jacket. It's definitely less than what I see a lot of in the WIWT thread, but the way you've got it still is roomy yet still gives the jacket shape.

The jacket looks a little short to me, though. But I'm just learning myself. Is it supposed to be long enough so that your fingers can just curl around the lower edge of the jacket while your hands are hanging at the side?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Specifically . . .

. . . the shoulders look fine, and the back seems to hang right, but there is a fold at the side that, along with the front protrusion, may indicate there is too much material in the front panels at the waist.

With your arms extended, the front doesn't look too bad. So I would guess that not very much needs to be taken in for it to have a very nice fit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.