Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to have a few sports jackets made to wear together with wool dress pants, cotton twill dress pants, and dark, dressy denim jeans. I would like solid color fabric. What material, texture and weight should I ask for?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
For the warmer half of the year I recommend navy hopsack wool, which should go well well with the trouser materials you have. How heavy are your wool trousers? Something heavier like tweed or cashmere needs heavy trousers to pair with it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Matt,

Looking at photos of hopsack wool, it has a great texture for a sports jacket. I really like it. If my tailoring shop doesn't have hopsack wool, but has wool fabric with some texture (not smooth), would that be okay as well?

The pants fabric would be medium weight.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Matt,

Looking at photos of hopsack wool, it has a great texture for a sports jacket. I really like it. If my tailoring shop doesn't have hopsack wool, but has wool fabric with some texture (not smooth), would that be okay as well?

The pants fabric would be medium weight.
Texture is key for a solid odd jacket. Whatever you get it should have a loose weave, since tight weaves are for suits.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Reda makes a nice 8-9 ounce hopsack in like 5 different colors and it’s widely available. Made up as a half lined jacket with open patch pockets, I think those would be supremely versatile in the spring/summer.

Matt is right about solid color odd jackets. I would be ok with a smoother fabric only in the case of a navy blazer but that’s about it.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have a soft spot for wool crepe, which has a texture that in my experience is not as 'smooth' as traditional suiting, and very wrinkle-resistant. It wouldn't go with heavier weight pants, but 3 season it should work well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.