Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

As a guy in his early 30s who's sense of style is (finally) beginning to awake, I've begun to create a halfway decent closet without dropping a mint. Great-looking, silver-label H-F suit from Syms, budget J&M loafers to hold me over till I can swing some AEs, etc.

I was recently at a Syms on Long Island and ran across a great-looking HSM sport coat that was burgandy. I am drawn to dark reds, purples, etc. and to me it looked outstanding save for the brass buttons. Though there were some quality issues that prevented me from buying, it got me wondering:

What are the "acceptable" and stylish colors for sport coats to be worn with jeans? Would a burgandy qualify, or should I stick with a dark brown, etc.?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
With jeans, although I'm not crazy about the look, burgundy should work fine.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Although I can't see myself wearing a burgandy jacket with anything, even if I did I doubt that I would wear it with jeans. I readily wear navy, brown, tan, grey, and black with jeans; but if I'm wearing burgandy it's in the shirt rather than the jacket. Just a personal preference, that's all.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
If your sense of style is really beginning to awake, why not go out on a limb and think about replacing the jeans as your go to casual wear choice with something else like a corduroy trouser or a chino?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a HSM Jack Nicklaus blazer in burgandy(also have ones in teal and masters green) I wear the burgandy with tan or blue chinos and a BB noniron button down. I have never worn it with a tie. Kinda going for the casual look.
fat paul

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
If your sense of style is really beginning to awake, why not go out on a limb and think about replacing the jeans as your go to casual wear choice with something else like a corduroy trouser or a chino?
Of course you could try changing to jeans. They're a lot more stylish on Saturday night than chinos, unless you are really old and frumpy. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Of course you could try changing to jeans. They're a lot more stylish on Saturday night than chinos, unless you are really old and frumpy. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser
Of course I could, if I wanted to look like every other retard in their 30s, clinging tightly to their denim for fear of having to use their imagination for something else other than fantasy football picks.

As a matter of fact, I only recently (within the last couple of years) started to wear jeans less and less as casual wear as I transitioned from mid to late 30s. Nothing looks better than a nice pair of flat front charcoal wool trousers at the bookstore on a Saturday morning, or a nice thick corduroy trouser with a heavy wool sportcoat. Why would I want to wear blue jeans and blend in with every other man aged 16 to 56? Hard to get noticed that way now isn't it.. :icon_smile_wink:

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Of course I could, if I wanted to look like every other retard in their 30s, clinging tightly to their denim for fear of having to use their imagination for something else other than fantasy football picks.
So in your mind wearing jeans makes one a "retard". You must be a real dork. And I mean that in the nicest way. :icon_smile_big:

https://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0009dg4.gif

Why would I want to wear blue jeans and blend in with every other man aged 16 to 56?
I'm not in that age group so I wouldn't know.

Cruiser

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gentlemen,

As a guy in his early 30s who's sense of style is (finally) beginning to awake, I've begun to create a halfway decent closet without dropping a mint. Great-looking, silver-label H-F suit from Syms, budget J&M loafers to hold me over till I can swing some AEs, etc.

I was recently at a Syms on Long Island and ran across a great-looking HSM sport coat that was burgandy. I am drawn to dark reds, purples, etc. and to me it looked outstanding save for the brass buttons. Though there were some quality issues that prevented me from buying, it got me wondering:

What are the "acceptable" and stylish colors for sport coats to be worn with jeans? Would a burgandy qualify, or should I stick with a dark brown, etc.?

Thanks,
Personally (and this is just personal preference but I believe it to be rather wise counsel) I would only wear these colors and fabrics for sports coats/blazers depending on the season :

solid color navy blue or solid color black wool sports coat/blazer for spring and fall weather

Wool tweed sports coat for winter of grey, black/white mixed or any neutral color (except white) or multi-color for winter. If you go for multi-color tweed it should be so fine that from a distance it looks like a solid color.

Light blue or khaki color linen, cotton or cotton/linen blend or a reasonably summer colored themed striped seersucker sports coat for summer . Most seersucker jackets come in a reasonable summer color so need to worry about it. However, seersucker is a bit more 'fancy' then a linen or cotton sport coat.

Maybe a camel haired colored sports coat in the rotation as an added luxury .

I would avoid other colors like solid burgundy, solid forest green, solid purple etc.. and window pane styled sports coat/blazers in such colors etc... etc.. the reason being is that you can't wear such things often without people noticing that you wear them all the time. Other colors and patterns can be worn daily without people noticing really as long as you know how to dress right ( switching different ties around, different color pocket squares, differents hats or no hat all can make all the difference in the world. They can make you look different day to day but not so completely different that you look like a loon. There is no need to switch jackets around so often ). You want universal colors and patterns that don't 'stand out'. For instance you don't want a forest green window paned jacket with leather elbow patches ! You can't wear that again without people noticing that you have worn it before. It just stands out too much. The first time you wear it they will comment "hey ! that is a really nice forest green window paned jacket with leather elbow patches !" The next time you wear it they will think to themselves: "hey, he allready wore that outfit before."

Also, I would never wear a sports coat/blazer with jeans. I would pare it with khakis, chinos, grey wool pants, olive wool pants etc...

For suits you want grey or blue colors mostly although a summer suit in seersucker, light color linen, garbardine, or silk or a blend of some of these light fabrics can also be acceptable but to start with you need grey and blue single breasted suits are a must and then after that you can get double breasted (if you are tall and thin then double breasted suits look fine otherwise stay away from them) or other summer color suits to add to the collection. One can wear grey wool or blue wool suits in the summer as long as they aren't heavy wool a.k.a 'year round wool' so getting summer style suits is a luxury really.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Although I can't see myself wearing a burgandy jacket with anything, even if I did I doubt that I would wear it with jeans. I readily wear navy, brown, tan, grey, and black with jeans; but if I'm wearing burgandy it's in the shirt rather than the jacket. Just a personal preference, that's all.

Cruiser
I agree (see my post above) I personally wouldn't wear a burgundy color blazer or sports coat myself. You have fine tastes just like me cruiser. You're choice of colors for sports coats or blazers is rather wise indeed. Although, I have to disagree with you about the 'jeans' thing. I wouldn't personally wear jeans with sports coat or blazer. Sorry, but I have to side with Gnatty8 on this one and I'm sure Andy agrees (from another post I saw about jeans in another thread that Andy posted in). Although, Andy being the gentleman he is would never use the word 'retard'. I think using that word was a poor choice by Gnatty8.

_

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
BTW, who is that awful looking hippy with the big stache and nuthugger jeans? I really hope you are not holding this reject from the 70s out as an example of why jeans look oh so great on middle aged men!! :eek:

If its who I think it is, I don't often look to Hollywood for cues on how to dress myself..

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
BTW, who is that awful looking hippy with the big stache and nuthugger jeans? I really hope you are not holding this reject from the 70s out as an example of why jeans look oh so great on middle aged men!!
For the record it's spelled "hippie". OK, I apologize for using Redford since you are younger and he may have been before your time; but I seem to remember you citing REM as one of your favorite musical groups so how about if I substitute REM lead singer Michael Stipe for Redford?

https://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=michaelstipecocktailparas4.jpg

Personally I don't think Stipe pulls off the jeans/jacket look as well as Redford, but to each his own. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Proper spelling of hippie noted, thank you.

Nice try Cruiser, but I also stay away from taking cues from popular musicians for how to dress myself as well. I like Stipe and all, but I see no reason to model my dress after him. So let's make a list now shall we?

Gnatty8 does not pattern his clothing choices after:

1) Hollywo0d actors who are mainly high school educated and no more,
2) Popular musicians who are mainly high school educated and no more,
3) Cruiser

:icon_smile_wink:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.