Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a pair of AE Delrays that I wear with everything from jeans to suits. I know there are better choices for the two extremes in that range, but it really is a versatile style of shoe. I find them especially useful when I need to pack light.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a pair of J&M bluchers that I also found for dirt cheap. I wear them to work on a casual Friday. Everyday people think they look sharp and paid good money for them. On this forum they would be frowned upon, but I got them for so cheap it was foolish to not get them. They have lasted three years now and look great. I added a topy to them which cost more than what I paid for the shoe and I use it for foul weather as well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I picked up a pair of J&M split toed bluchers today (I know J&M is mostly garbage,but the price was risiculously low).What is the consensus here on split toes?
Wear what you like. Split-toe shoes may not be elegant, but if you like them, screw what anyone else thinks.

My favorites are a pair of Alden #8 cordovan norwegian split toe bluchers. They have double oak soles. I like that they are massive. I wear them with suits. I do not care if anyone else thinks they are inappropriate with a suit. They are wrong. It is a matter of preference.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Split toe bluchers are my favorite style of shoe. The J. Weston and the Grenson split toe from Paul Stuart are wonderful modern and stylish. It is definitely an old man's look. Unfortunately, the are not carrying the split toe at Paul Stuart for the present; but Weston's have a number as it one of their signature looks.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I'm not personally fond of split toe shoes, but if you enjoy them that's the important thing.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have yet to see a split-toe that I found attractive. They seem unnecessarily clunky to me.
I mostly agree, though I do enjoy a pair of the discontinued AE Glasgow slip ons. Only IMHO, split toes don't cut it with a nice suit. I do like AE Delrays and will eventually get a pair, but not for wear with my best suits. Oops, that sounds contradictory, since I listed two that I like. No others are on my to-get list.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Those sound like old man shoes to me. Yeah, sorry!
It wasn't so long ago that young men liked wearing heavy soled shoes! Always remember todays young man is tomorrow's old man!

I love split toed shoes. John Lobb make a divine one - can't remember the name. I have EG Dover on order and own three pairs of Church's Carne just because I like the style! So, yep, I am a fan!

PS - saw a lovely looking Church's split toed loafer on Leffot's website - a new model on the 130 last

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I like them. They are first and foremost very comfortable. I think the extra seam allows a little more flex to the leather. They also look fine for most situations. While I would not show up for a wedding wearing them, they are suitable for most everyday wear. They are less common so you have a distinctive look also.
In all, I don't find any real fault with them.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I picked up a pair of J&M split toed bluchers today (I know J&M is mostly garbage,but the price was risiculously low).What is the consensus here on split toes?
I have a bucket of raw sewage on sale real cheap. Would you like to buy it? :icon_smile_big: Just because the price is low doesn't mean you found a good deal. A low priced shoe that only lasts a few wearings is much more expensive than a higher priced one that lasts a lifetime. No, I am not saying that you have to buy expensive shoes. But you acknowledged that you were aware that "J&M is mostly garbage" so why buy them, whatever the price? Why set yourself up for disappointment? :confused:

As far as split-toe shoes go, I think that some can be quite nice while others are hideous. I have a pair of AE Dentons that I like very much. They are my go-to bizcas shoes.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a bucket of raw sewage on sale real cheap. Would you like to buy it? :icon_smile_big: Just because the price is low doesn't mean you found a good deal. A low priced shoe that only lasts a few wearings is much more expensive than a higher priced one that lasts a lifetime. No, I am not saying that you have to buy expensive shoes. But you acknowledged that you were aware that "J&M is mostly garbage" so why buy them, whatever the price? Why set yourself up for disappointment? :confused:

As far as split-toe shoes go, I think that some can be quite nice while others are hideous. I have a pair of AE Dentons that I like very much. They are my go-to bizcas shoes.
Hm,the raw sewage offer is tempting,but I'll have to pass.:( And I said mostly garbage,these shoes are amongst the better J&M's I've seen,or else I would have ledt them on the rack,sale or no sale.

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
I know J&M is mostly garbage,but the price was risiculously low.
This is not true.
Just because the price is low doesn't mean you found a good deal. A low priced shoe that only lasts a few wearings is much more expensive than a higher priced one that lasts a lifetime. But you acknowledged that you were aware that "J&M is mostly garbage" so why buy them, whatever the price? Why set yourself up for disappointment? :confused:
Thank you for your little lesson in value comparisons. How stupid do you think we are?

·
Premium Member
6,477 Posts
Those sound like old man shoes to me. Yeah, sorry!
When you get the time, expound a bit on this will you. Tell us all why a shoe split at the toe sounds old manish. Give us the backstory behind that perception. What is it in your personal coming-of-age saga that would have you peg a split toe blucher as sounding like something an old man would wear?

·
Registered
464 Posts
This is not true.
Thank you for your little lesson in value comparisons. How stupid do you think we are?
Based on the number of posts by members claiming great deals and then looking for validation of their purchase of sub-standard, ill-fitting, pain-inducing clothing one would have to wonder. :icon_smile_wink: Did I strike a nerve?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.