Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gogosha

Try asking Julia Gogosha of Gogosha Optique. She supplies all of my eyewear and is almost supernaturally gifted at finding specific looks on request.

Rather than post her contact info here, just visit her at gogosha.com. Tell her Troy sent you.

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you in the SF or LA areas, or even if you're not, I highly recommend Allyn Scura.

https://www.allynscura.com

They deal in vintage frames from the 50's, 60's and 70's, as well as their own vintage/retro-inspired designs.

They are very popular with movie folk and design freaks out here in la-la land. Very nice to deal with as well. I've worn vintage frames from them for 10+ years and they have some fantastic square oversize vintage tortoiseshell frames. (And no designer logos! That trend is completely blown out and quite out of fashion here.)

·
Registered
424 Posts
btw, they have a great classic P3 repro style, very high quality and very period-accurate, that can look like James Dean's frames (in black or tortoise) or the frames that all those fellows in Foggy Bottom and Georgetown are wearing (in clear and smoke): their Legend 031. In person, I've seen a classic pale pink version that is not on the site--so period. I have no connection to them other than as a satisfied customer. Great prices direct as well.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I hope this isn't a hijack of the thread but as a fairly new member of the glasses-required club I have looked at frames online but I cant imagine buying without trying them on. Even in my local lenscrafters or wherever if I see a frame I think I might like I still cant be sure to I put it on and see it in a mirror. I was really surprised how even on a shelf two feet away I could think "hmm these might look nice" but once on my face I realize they are not even close. If its that tough for me at close range I cant imagine buying based on a little imagine on a website.

I have even seen websites were you can upload a picture and get the scale just so and "virtually try on" the glasses (I didn't go through the process I confess) so I must be far from the only person with this problem.

The questions I have are: How can You buy frames on line with any certainty as to fit and appearance and if you do buy them how do you know you can get the correct lens blanks for them? Lastly, if you do buy on line dont you then have to go to an eye glass store or optometrist and wait weeks for the lenses to arrive and be ground or do you order the frames with the prescription?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Wait, one other thing, since everyone here has closets busting out with shoes and clothes do many of you have more than say 2 pair of glasses? Do you match frames to clothes and how many pair do you feel are needed to get the job done? Do people ever "load up" on glasses like they might with shoes?

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
You might take a look at www.eyeglasses.com and consider what they have to offer. I picked up a pair of Anglo American model #405 Tortoise frames from them...very easy to do business with, they will send several frames to aid you in achieving a good fit (you just have to pay return postage for those that don't fit) and the price was right! Good luck in your hunt!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The questions I have are: How can You buy frames on line with any certainty as to fit and appearance and if you do buy them how do you know you can get the correct lens blanks for them? Lastly, if you do buy on line dont you then have to go to an eye glass store or optometrist and wait weeks for the lenses to arrive and be ground or do you order the frames with the prescription?
Well, nothing's certain but the companies I've dealt with are fine with returns. I have a pair of Clubman's I picked up from Allyn Scura. Very nice quality and just what I was after. I took them to my local optometrist to have prescription lenses installed. These days optical shops order the script blank from a lens wholesaler and cut the lens shape on a special machine in-house. It uses the glasses frame as a template to custom cut the lens. It just takes a few minutes. It took 3 days for me to get my finished glasses once I handed them over to the optometrist, most of which time was shipping from the lens wholesaler.

Kevin

·
Registered
424 Posts
Allyn Scura also does the equivalent of trunk shoes, travelling to vintage clothing show and flea markets throughout California. You might try to see if there are vintage shows in your area at which vintage frame sellers might go. There are also sometimes old stock hanging around in older eyeglass stores that might work for you. This is where the vintage dealers source their stuff. By the way, most eyeglass dealers don't have labs in house anyway (mine does, but that's unusual). So wherever you buy frames from, in all likelihood they are sending out the prescriptions and frames to an outside lab to cut and sometimes even install the lenses.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I'm hesitant to just throw another brand into the mix, but you might check out theo:

www.theo.be/

They're my frame of choice lately, and they have loads of style, materials, colors and so on. They also are relatively uncommon, so not everyone is wearing them (Atlanta has only one store which sells them.)

They are kind of "high style", which not everyone will like, but they are very well designed and made.

D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.