Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
by Christopher Buckley

Obama has in him—I think, despite his sometimes airy-fairy “We are the people we have been waiting for” silly rhetoric—the potential to be a good, perhaps even great leader. He is, it seems clear enough, what the historical moment seems to be calling for.

So, I wish him all the best. We are all in this together. Necessity is the mother of bipartisanship. And so, for the first time in my life, I’ll be pulling the Democratic lever in November. As the saying goes, God save the United States of America.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
"The only reason my vote would be of any interest to anyone is that my last name happens to be Buckley—a name I inherited."

Actually, lefties notwithstanding, I doubt most will care at all how he votes. I know I don't.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Christopher is being unusually modest. :icon_smile: It is quite something when a Buckley of the Sharon, Connecticut, Buckleys votes for a Democratic candidate. Perhaps not as weighty as all the Eisenhowers lining up to pull the Democratic lever, but still.

Given all the people he's met and befriended over the years, it's good to note he sees much potential in Obama. It would be a nice change to have a President who actually bested expectations instead of burying them.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Interesting

I found the third to the last paragraph the most informative. Buckley believes that Obama could be a great president, but only if he has the intellect to not be a Democrat.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Young Buckley dosen't understand the importance of morality and thinks gitting along and making life easier is better. The old Buckley spoke endlessly about morality. So, the young Buckley has totally missing the boat his father was on.

Young Buckley is riding one his fathers coat tails and doesn't even know why the coat tails were so go to ride on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Young Buckley dosen't understand the importance of morality and thinks gitting along and making life easier is better. The old Buckley spoke endlessly about morality. So, the young Buckley has totally missing the boat his father was on.

Young Buckley is riding one his fathers coat tails and doesn't even know why the coat tails were so go to ride on.
When did we start thinking that 55 or 56 was young? :icon_smile_big:

Remember William F. Buckley refused to refer to George Bush as "President Bush". He instead referred to him as "Mr. Bush". Even Bill made it quite clear what he thought of a number of Republican "conservatives" who really weren't conservative as he defined it.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
What I always came away from listening to William F. Buckley was a constancy. Agree or not, you better have your facts lined up before debating. Buckley never had to ; backpedal,flip flop, waffle or dance anyone's two step.He certainly never had to apologise.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
What I always came away from listening to William F. Buckley was a constancy. Agree or not, you better have your facts lined up before debating. Buckley never had to ; backpedal,flip flop, waffle or dance anyone's two step.He certainly never had to apologise.
Except, perhaps for backing Southern segregationists in the late 1950s and for his dogged support for Senator Jospeh McCarthy.

Buzz

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
M6, certainly those are two things you and I would seek an apology for. But he was a man of his times and not ours, or the 'victors' of history. Our descendants may look at things we did in a similar vein.
I think we sometimes need a higher ground.Call it forgiveness or the necessity of moving forward instead of becoming stuck looking back to often.
Buckley was an interesting man, no doubt and worth reading.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Chris Buckley is a damn fine and genuinely hilarious writer.

I've probably read more about WFB than by him, but I do remember seeing him on some low-budget Hoover institution TV show where he admitted error in his position of civil rights, and (I thought oddly) expressed regret over his position on Vietnam.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
M6, certainly those are two things you and I would seek an apology for. But he was a man of his times and not ours, or the 'victors' of history. Our descendants may look at things we did in a similar vein.
I think we sometimes need a higher ground.Call it forgiveness or the necessity of moving forward instead of becoming stuck looking back to often.
Buckley was an interesting man, no doubt and worth reading.
He actually did apologize for having espoused those positions. During the Nineteen-Fifties, many people realized that segregation and Joseph McCarthy were rank evils of their times, we did not have to wait several decades to reach that conclusion. Neither should have Buckley.

Buzz

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Remember the example of the two thieves on the cross with Jesus?
In one of the apocrypal books are some stories of Jesus growing up in Egypt during his 'lost years' before teaching. His family were siezed by bandits.
The bandit chief soon realised they were even poorer and only worth selling into slavery.
But he relented and shared the meager provisions with them instead.
He freed Jesus and family and went looking for wealthier victims with his gang.
The story is that bandit leader was the good thief on the cross .

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Remember the example of the two thieves on the cross with Jesus?
In one of the apocrypal books are some stories of Jesus growing up in Egypt during his 'lost years' before teaching. His family were siezed by bandits.
The bandit chief soon realised they were even poorer and only worth selling into slavery.
But he relented and shared the meager provisions with them instead.
He freed Jesus and family and went looking for wealthier victims with his gang.
The story is that bandit leader was the good thief on the cross .
To be honest with you, stories about Jesus are not in my cannon and I am not sure what this story says about the Family Buckley. Nonetheless, Bill Buckley supported reprehensible positions early in his career, even when others had already identified them as evil. It is good that he later acknowledged his errors, but by his own later confession he had been egregiously in error.

Buzz

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
I've got rocksalt in my cannon, a 1/4 scale Napolean from Dixie Gun Works.
If the scientologists ever come back I'm ready.
But Buckley isn't coming back. We have his writings, his life. We can't rewrite either, just live ours by example a little better, if possible.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.