Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know what everyday comfortable smart casual type shoe gives the history, georgraphy proffesor aura, or a very sophisticated everyday shoe for the university student look with a shirt.?

I've seen people wear it. It is a black shoe oxford, derby type. It has a rubber sole. I think it is a Dr Martenswith a yellowish, light brownish sole. Ive seen older people in their fifties to their late teens and twenties wear these shoes and i thought they look smart.
Does anyone have any idea what im on about? They are comfy as opposed to really stylish, and can be use everyday, for long walks and comfort. The wearers i would imagine wear them everywhere, from the pub to actually wearing it to work everyday, or school field trips. It is a everywhere shoe. Not to sleek and stylish and not bulky. Just right! Not too shiny as well.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'm not entirely sure what your getting at. Is this simply an endorsement of Dr. Marten's pain oxfords? If so, thats fine with me, although I do have my own opinions on them. I generally find them to be a bit too "skinhead" for my taste, and at any rate a bad compromise of the casual and workwear aesthetics. I would would personaly reccomend Clarks desert boots or Sperry Topsiders for student, or perhaps Wallabees. However, even though I wear Sperry's, I tend to see more UK students wearin Timberland boat shoes, ofter the of the heavy duty Lug soled variety (which I tend to find too clunky). I feel that most of these shoes are just as comfortable and versetile as the docs, and generaly have a more scholarly look too them. (which is to say, they look good with tweed!). And if you wanted to go whole hog and the academic look, just get some nice brown brouges!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not entirely sure what your getting at. Is this simply an endorsement of Dr. Marten's pain oxfords? If so, thats fine with me, although I do have my own opinions on them. I generally find them to be a bit too "skinhead" for my taste, and at any rate a bad compromise of the casual and workwear aesthetics. I would would personaly reccomend Clarks desert boots or Sperry Topsiders for student, or perhaps Wallabees. However, even though I wear Sperry's, I tend to see more UK students wearin Timberland boat shoes, ofter the of the heavy duty Lug soled variety (which I tend to find too clunky). I feel that most of these shoes are just as comfortable and versetile as the docs, and generaly have a more scholarly look too them. (which is to say, they look good with tweed!). And if you wanted to go whole hog and the academic look, just get some nice brown brouges!​
I think you know what im on about actually. I have seen them with skinheads wearing them. But the one im after is a bit sleeker. I know it is Dr Martins, but was just curious as to whether other companies make those type shoes.
I think they are a bit tougher and more versatile than a wallabee etc. I want a black shoe really but not to formal and dressy like a oxford. A more do anything shoe. I think it is the Dr Martin and will keep an eye out.

·
Registered
655 Posts
This is the shoe you are looking for:

It seems as though these "vintage" series may actually be made in England, or at the very least, to a higher standard than recent Docs. If so, then they are liable to be a cut above many cheap rubber soled derbies offered by every company that can source a pair a shoes from china. However, I will warn you that the airware sole and yellow stitching screams "OI!" and not sophisticated professor. Loake (https://www.loake.co.uk/) offers many rubber soled options, and IMO is far more sophisticated. Ultimately, you must make your own decision on footwear, but I forewarn you that there are many far better options than those of the good Doctor. And regardless of the branding, plain black oxfords may be a solid choice, but are really quite boring.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the shoe you are looking for:

It seems as though these "vintage" series may actually be made in England, or at the very least, to a higher standard than recent Docs. If so, then they are liable to be a cut above many cheap rubber soled derbies offered by every company that can source a pair a shoes from china. However, I will warn you that the airware sole and yellow stitching screams "OI!" and not sophisticated professor. Loake (https://www.loake.co.uk/) offers many rubber soled options, and IMO is far more sophisticated. Ultimately, you must make your own decision on footwear, but I forewarn you that there are many far better options than those of the good Doctor. And regardless of the branding, plain black oxfords may be a solid choice, but are really quite boring.
Yes, it is very like that one. But i dont like the yellow stitching. The ones ive seen havent got those as far as i remember.
But ive only ever seen people wearing them, rather than have tried them on myself. They might not suit me. But i will have to try a few pairs on i think. Maybe i was wrong with the sophisticateed proffesor analogy. I think more university geographystudent field trip shoe. That could walk across grass fields and hilly terrain.
My imagination is a bit crossed with different images.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.