Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Many shops close to the Bank of England, including Gucci and Hermes, either closed or removed goods from the display windows. Some, including telephone shop Carphone Warehouse, boarded up their windows. Those working in the financial district were told to dress casually or work from home but some decided to wear bowler hats and pinstriped suits in a gesture of defiance."
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/02/world/europe/02prexy.html

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
All I can say is . . .

. . . there will always be an England - pinstripes and bowler hats as an act of defiance, and protesters in suits (though one assumes that not ALL the protesters were dressed in such a manner).

Now, if the leaders of G20 can come to some consensus as to what to do about the economic mess, we'll all be better off . . .

·
Registered
316 Posts
There is actually a very long and complex history of whether or not to protest in suits.

Remember that Martin Luther King always protested in a suit and requested that everyone else where suits and the women often wore white gloves. (Check out the photos)

Mahatma Gandhi felt it was more important to make his own clothes rather than buy British-style clothes.

I once saw a story on PBS detailing why the 1964-era Mattachine gay rights group failed (they strictly wore ultraconservative suits) and the cross-dressers got people's attention in 1971. There is no definitive opinion on what to wear to a protest to make your cause accepted by the general public.

I myself walked through our local library when a group was planning a protest around 2002-ish and when one guy asked about when the protesters would REALLY disrupt the status quo I asked him why someone obsessed with the status quo would want to wear police-issue shoes. The guy looked like he was going to kill me, so I left. Jeez, harass a guy for knowing about shoes.

Later I realized that he had infiltrated the protestors to encourage them to break the law. True story:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/politics/bal-md.spying03mar03,0,2475737.story

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Here's hoping this gentlemen is a member.

From the Bloomberg News Wire:

"Tom Allen, 42, from New York, who arrived for work at his London office in a J. Press pin-stripe suit and red tie, said he would be doing business as usual so had dressed as usual. Allen said he had been asked not to say where he works. "

Cheers Mr. Allen. I will raise a glass tonight in his honor.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Revolutionary!

Let us remember that it was mainly a bunch of Brits, or at least their descendants, who led the revolting Colonies. Of course, those left behind, or who left, still think the "Colonies" to be pretty revolting:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
. . . there will always be an England - pinstripes and bowler hats as an act of defiance, and protesters in suits (though one assumes that not ALL the protesters were dressed in such a manner).

Now, if the leaders of G20 can come to some consensus as to what to do about the economic mess, we'll all be better off . . .
The majority of the protesters were the normal sort of ill-dressed trash or ill-informed/misguided sorts that turn up at such events.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
A great capitalist opportunity was lost today if nobody when down to the G20 and sold Che T-shirts and PLO scarfs (yes they have a name, no I dont care what it is). You could even accessorized with black bandit handkerchiefs for tying around ones face.

I view these G8, G20 and WTO "riots" as a kind of concert tour for anarchist wannabe's not unlike following the Grateful Dead but with more CS gas.

Final thought: When the Bowler hat is associated with counter-revolution or defiance it certainly bodes well for the haberdashers of London who could sure use the business. Viva la Revolucion!

·
Registered
197 Posts
It was quite amusing to see how many otherwise sartorially-challenged colleagues were screaming out for umbrellas and bowler hats when they received the security advice earlier in the week. After several pints of Tanglefoot on Tuesday night I had been talked into wearing my bowler however in the end I settled for a stiff collar, dark suit and tightly furled black brolly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.