Men's Clothing Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
2,462 Posts
"Something you never want to hear your dentist say?"

Well...it wasn't heard by me, by our dentist told the wife, "we're going to have to redo that crown...and it's going to cost $2000 to $2400!" Son-of-a-............! :angry:
Good Lord. You can pay for a flight to Bangkok and get a crown done there for the same total $.

Cheers,

BSR

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Good Lord. You can pay for a flight to Bangkok and get a crown done there for the same total $.

Cheers,

BSR
You know, a lot of people here in SoCal head to Mexico for dental work. Apparently it costs pennies on the dollar. I drove my elderly landlady once to Tijuana to get some dental work done. She was going to an American dentist who somehow maintained an office in San Diego as well as in Tijuana. I don't recall her ever having a problem but I don't think I would chance it.

· Registered
2,462 Posts
The cost in the states is insane. And the wait times are also a pain.

My daughter had several cavities last summer, I think 3. The local dentist in Georgia quoted over $750 to drill and fill. Our dentist in Bangkok did the same for just over $100 and getting an appointment was simple. The Bangkok dentist is state of the art. I got my last cleaning there for $35.

Cheers,

BSR

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,101 Posts
^^Jeez Louise, cleanings and bite wing X-rays here run approximately $218. A filling involving just a single face of the tooth costs between $259 and $289. I can get much of my work done on a space available basis at the base dental clinic at the local(?) Air Force Base or at the VA, but dependents are not eligible for such care. Health insurance coverage for military retirees does have it's limitations. :(

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I agree, costs are astronomical. I'm lucky I have insurance and while talking to them I was advised to request a "dummy claim" aka a pre-claim approval to be sent by providers. This will tell me exactly how much out of pocket I'll be on the hook for whenever the situation arises. Right now I'm trying to get an appointment at the dental school at USC for a consultation.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,101 Posts
Something we never want to hear from our dentist(s)?

"I see two new crowns/caps in your future That will cost you about $3500 for everything, but they will last you a lifetime.!" That really doesn't mean much to a guy in his 70's. ;)

· Registered
Tie
20,038 Posts
Just the other day I needed gum surgery and it cost me $400 and thank god I had the money in my bank account, next week I need to go back again so he can check my mouth and to see if everything is OK, see this is what happens when I inherit bad gums and losing hair from My Father's side. ☹

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.