Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"I'm referring you to a periodontist." Sigh...well it is what it is and I have a handful of teeth that my gums are receding on and I need grafts They aren't loose thank God but if I want to keep them this is the first step. What they do is they take tissue from the roof of the mouth and graft onto the receded parts apparently. Anyone here have this procedure done and can tell me if it's a good long term way to go? It's going to eat up most of the insurance I have left for the year so that leaves me to pay out of pocket for my regular dental visits plus the out of pocket expense I'm responsible for is pretty high as well. Then next year when my insurance renews I'll have to go back and get the remaing teeth done so basically it will use up all my insurance for about two years. I know dental care is expensive but is there a way I can see what other providers charge? I mean is there maybe a website somewhere where I can type in my zip code and get a general idea of what such procedures run? I just don't want to be taken advantage of. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,482 Posts
Consider dentures. I don't know how old you are, doesn't matter, consider dentures. I got mine when I was 59. Should've when I was 29. Would've saved millions on root canals, facings, fillings, implants and much other crap. Specified a gap in the front top two, like I'd had since womb release, a crook'ed one on the bottom like I'd had since that fight thing and specified two shades darker that the dental guy wanted. My store-bought teeth (old New England phrase) were supposed to look like a 59 year old's, not a 17-teener's. Had them for 14 years and have never once had a tooth ache or ever been back to a dentist.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm in my late 40's and I'm going to try to keep my teeth as long as possible. I've heard of people opting out to having most or all of their teeth pulled and getting dentures. I called my insurance today and discovered quite a bit such as periodontal work is a seperate billing so it doesn't come from the $2,000 annual benefit amount like I was told in the office. My policy also covers other periodontal work too like deep cleanings etc. It looks like I may find a way to reduce my out of pocket expense after all.

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
I called my insurance today and discovered quite a bit such as periodontal work is a seperate billing so it doesn't come from the $2,000 annual benefit amount like I was told in the office. My policy also covers other periodontal work too like deep cleanings etc. It looks like I may find a way to reduce my out of pocket expense after all.
I was going to suggest looking into that. When I had periodontal work performed, I was concerned how it would drain my dental coverage. However, imagine my surprise when my medical policy covered the procedure with only a copay. Needless to say, I was most pleased. Don't get me wrong, the procedure wasn't a walk in the park. But, better a little pain on the gums, than pain in my wallet.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Consider dentures. I don't know how old you are, doesn't matter, consider dentures. I got mine when I was 59. Should've when I was 29. Would've saved millions on root canals, facings, fillings, implants and much other crap. Specified a gap in the front top two, like I'd had since womb release, a crook'ed one on the bottom like I'd had since that fight thing and specified two shades darker that the dental guy wanted. My store-bought teeth (old New England phrase) were supposed to look like a 59 year old's, not a 17-teener's. Had them for 14 years and have never once had a tooth ache or ever been back to a dentist.
:icon_scratch: Interesting? Fortunately my teeth are all original, but I've always heard that dentures could be a real pain in the a** (and this coming from denture wearers). I guess , from the nature of the complaint, it could just be an indication that the dentures were installed in the wrong orifice(!)? LOL. ;)

·
Registered
Tie
19,960 Posts
I've been going to the dentist for a very long time and I'm in my mid 40's, so far I've had to deal with braces, retainers and that was during the mid 1980's. cavities later on in life so I needed some teeth pulled and just 2 years ago I needed my wisdom teeth pulled and that hurt like hell.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Your fortunate Scott, in High School, I went in for a root canal. They showed xrays to my mother (I was already out), and said all 4 Wisdom had to come out. No wonder I woke up with blood coming out of my cotton filled cheeks. ah, youth.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,061 Posts
Ah, the blessing of the Italian teeth. All I ever get is a semiannual cleaning, except for the time I knocked out a corner of one incisor being in junior high and stupid. I haven't even ever grown any wisdom teeth.

·
37,088 Posts
Various dentists have been telling me that I need my wisdom teeth pulled for years. They don't hurt, they cause no issues of which I am aware, so I just abide.

Cheers,

BSR
Way back (a bit more than 50 years ago) when I was competing for appointments to the various Service Academies, passing the physical required that I have my wisdom teeth removed. Fortunately those are the only teeth I have had to have removed...knock on wood! ;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, my teeth are pretty good, it's just the gums that need some attention. I did have to have one wisdom tooth pulled because it was impacted and when an infection set in it began to hurt like Hell. The molar it was impacted against also got infected and needed a root canal but at the time I had no insurance so out came that one as well. I remember that day very well. It was on 9-11-2001. I remember sitting in the chair that morning waiting for the novacain to take affect while I watched the news about the attacks.

·
Registered
Tie
19,960 Posts
When I was just a baby I used to suck my thumb, true story and I did that for about 10 years till my teeth became so messed up until I was about 10 years old then I had to go the dentist to try to have my 2 front teeth brought in but my 2 front teeth made me look like a beaver's teeth and having braces and retainers didn't really help much so I'm stuck lisping years after that.

·
37,088 Posts
"Something you never want to hear your dentist say?"

Well...it wasn't heard by me, by our dentist told the wife, "we're going to have to redo that crown...and it's going to cost $2000 to $2400!" Son-of-a-............! :angry:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.