Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MOST IMPORTANT:
THERE IS SALE AT TML M O S T OF THE YEAR. "SALE" DOES NOT MEAN A THING AT TML.

So, here we go:

- When buying shirts, make sure you pick "popline" (thin smooth cotton) or "luxury oxford" (thicker, woven-like fabric). Do NOT buy "Luxury Twill" which is a very soft wool-like fabric which is not suitable for formal wear and looks unclean and "fuzzy" after a while. Same for herringbone. Pinpoint looks lacklustre and shrinks more than the other fabrics. Do not buy.

- When in doubt about sizes, try the following trick (for a normal-built gentleman): If one has a 16" shirt size, take a 16 1/2" Slim Fit shirt. This takes usual shrinking after a few washings into account as well as it is avoids the typical Jermyn Street "tent-like" cut (unless one wants that).

- Do not be tempted by John Francomb goods, they make one look like a spikey-haire pimpled car-phone salesperson. Stay on the safe side with Windsor or PoW classic shirts.

- When there is a particular shirt one fancies, do not hesitate when that shirt in that size is already reduced to GBP 25. Normally, it will not be reduced again; in very rare cases GBP 19 is the lower watermark, but don´t bet on that. Buy now.

- Beware of the plain-coloured ties which unfortunately in real life look dreadful. The satin ones look like an old sock after wearing them once, the fabric is very fragile. The ottoman ones are very stiff and could hail from Tie Rack. Spots and patterns look best, because they utilize colours AND textures.

- Again: the ties are rather heavy. If one is short or wants a small knot... might not be right for you.

- The suits are very nice and nothing can go wrong from for 250 GBP. The fabric is rather light, do not expect old-fashioned thick wool. As there is a variety of cuts (short, normal, long) for the coats, I recommend to see the shop when buying for the first time to ensure proper fit. Cut is "contemporary", not too wide, not too slack.

- The shoes do have a very "modern" (i.e. square-toed) look and thus are to be avoided. Quality is ok, but remember to add one size as they are very small.

- The heel-and-toe-socks lose their shape and flex after a few months. Would not buy them again.

- The enamel cufflinks look stunning given their GBP 25-32.50 price bracket. Could much more expensive. Ideal as a present to impress someone.

- Braces are the TML unloved child. Buy when at GBP 25 - they´re worth it.

- Overcoats are nice, but plain. Coverts look very solid and robust, but there is no velvet-collar fitting option, so that task is left to an alterations tailor. Again, at GBP 150-200, it is quite a bargain.

- Mail order at TML has its own charme. One can use one´s Lufthansa Miles which one otherwise could never spend in one´s life. Customer service is usually done by immigrants or students, they are generally willing to help you, but sometimes need some firm instructions what to to. Have bought from TML online for years - all problems were finally resolved. Impressive.

- When buying off-line, I still recommend the "flagpost" shop (this is one calls large shops nowadays!) in Jermyn Street. Cheerful music, good-looking shop attendants male and female (I favour the Jamaician-born girls). Do not expect the whole Turnbull/Lingwood "Excellent, Sir" scheme - it is more lively here, and they bloody well leave you alone if you tell them to. Have spent 3 (!) hours there last Saturday. Brilliant. And: sometimes there are some unloved items which are reduced and are not offered on-line.

- Unfortunately, TML Jerm Str has discontinued their bargain basement with end-of-range and seconds. Impoverished people like The Count now shop-lift instead.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I second the warning about the "Luxury" twill shirts: They don't launder up well, they fuzz up at the collar, and generally should be avoided.

I actually like the John Francomb "Milan" shirt in plain white poplin--the higher band allowed by the double-button collar looks nice. And as I am a size 18 it's the only slimmer-fitting TML shirt I can buy. I wish they made it in a plain light-blue end-on-end and light-blue solid poplin and bengal stripe.

The shoes are made in India, but not all are square-toed monstrosities. Some are classic in styling, with a moderately chiseled toe, perhaps, but nothing like a Ken Cole nightmare:

I think the TML ties are a bargain. The repp stripes are especially heavy and nice. But yes indeed, they do make a bigger knot and one should be aware of that going in.

The suits: Trousers only come in one rise, and it's on the short side, or so it seems to me (I'm 5' 10" and have always been a perfect "regular rise" in terms of dress-trouser sizing).

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
MOST IMPORTANT:
Do NOT buy "Luxury Twill" which is a very soft wool-like fabric which is not suitable for formal wear and looks unclean and "fuzzy" after a while. Same for herringbone.
Herringbone is a twill :devil:

I have never tried Lewin shirts, so thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
263 Posts
- When buying shirts, make sure you pick "poplin" (thin smooth cotton) or "luxury oxford" (thicker, woven-like fabric). Do NOT buy "Luxury Twill" which is a very soft wool-like fabric which is not suitable for formal wear and looks unclean and "fuzzy" after a while. Same for herringbone. Pinpoint looks lacklustre and shrinks more than the other fabrics. Do not buy.
The luxury oxford fabric is very, very nice indeed and the poplin softens nicely after a time. I echo the points about the twill, which is very loosely woven and looks horrible after only a couple of washes. In my experience the herringbone (yes, it's a twill too) does a little better, but not as good as herringbones from other makers.

- Do not be tempted by John Francomb goods, they make one look like a spikey-haire pimpled car-phone salesperson. Stay on the safe side with Windsor or PoW classic shirts.
I don't like the JF Milan style at all. However, the JF Rovereto, if bought in a solid (or just off-solid) is an excellent shirt for wearing sans tie with a suit or with odd jacket and jeans due to its trim fit and long-pointed collar.

- Mail order at TML has its own charme. ... . Have bought from TML online for years - all problems were finally resolved. Impressive.
Agreed.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I quite like the luxury twill offered by Lewin. I wouldn't wear it to an interview, but for most office situations, it is suitable, versatile, and visually appealing. I also like its resistance to wrinkling. Any fuzziness I've noticed after laundering seems to disappear after ironing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just purchased my first TM Lewin shirt last week to try the brand, and I picked one of their "Luxury Twill" shirts. I am hoping that it fairs better than you described. I have a 35" sleeve, but to get that I had to order a 36 and pay to have them alter it to a 35. If this shirt looks like dirt after a couple washes, will they take it back? Their website says no returns on altered garments, but I will be hacked if the shirt is poor quality and they won't take it back. Any idea on their return policy in situations like that?

·
Registered
921 Posts
- The shoes do have a very "modern" (i.e. square-toed) look and thus are to be avoided. Quality is ok, but remember to add one size as they are very small.
quote]

I have some Lewin shirts and ties and I think they are cheap paying attention to the price.
But let me know something; I bought a pair of brown semi brogue. I like the shape, but dislike the leather (seems a lit bit artificial). But as I like the shape, I was thinking to buy the suede semi-brogues. What could you tell me about it? On the picture they seem much alike C&J suede semi-brogues

Thanks

V.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I've had no problems with their Luxury Twill or herringbone shirts - maybe it's because I launder them myself. The heavy twill is not very businesslike, admittedly, though the raised white twill looks quite formal.

I find all Lewin's stuff excellent value for money - perfect for anyone on a tight budget who wants to look classic-professional. The suits are well made - the fabrics are a bit limp and the buttons look cheap, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
overall they dont sound very good, its a pretty lukewarm endorsement in general and besides the price and discounts I dont see much appeal. I did check out their website the other day and I wasn't too moved by it. I think I can find both better and accidentally as bad here in the US without paying the increased shipping. In other words if I want mediocre and constant sales I'll go to JAB.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I've owned both, and I'd rate the Lewins--the poplins and end-on-ends at any rate--as generally better than JAB shirts.

TML shipping to the USA is currently 8 quid, or about $11.50, for an order or any size. Definitely competitive w/ what you'd pay a lot of US mail-order places for p&p.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I don't like the JF Milan style at all. However, the JF Rovereto, if bought in a solid (or just off-solid) is an excellent shirt for wearing sans tie with a suit or with odd jacket and jeans due to its trim fit and long-pointed collar.
Agreed that the Roverto is sleek, but unless you have an athletic build, or are a teenager, most mature men (i.e., those over 30) IMO simply will not be able to wear one. I got one for $10 off EBay to try out, and even after removing the darts myself I find they are more restrictive than a Milan.

I like the Milan because it gives me a sleeker look and is comfortable to wear (drapes well, doesn't fit like spandex). FWIW, I'm 5'11", 190 lbs, waist 36 chest 42.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Agreed that the Roverto is sleek, but unless you have an athletic build, or are a teenager, most mature men (i.e., those over 30) IMO simply will not be able to wear one. I got one for $10 off EBay to try out, and even after removing the darts myself I find they are more restrictive than a Milan.

I like the Milan because it gives me a sleeker look and is comfortable to wear (drapes well, doesn't fit like spandex). FWIW, I'm 5'11", 190 lbs, waist 36 chest 42.
I like the Milan cut as well. It's comparable to a Brooks Bros. "Luxury"-range fit, I'd say. I just wish they made it in a few basic shades besides the white one I already own--I am too old to wear all those crazy colors and patterns, but a light blue solid and bengal stripe would be great.

·
Registered
263 Posts

Well I'm 30, so not a kid. But I'm a bit slimmer through the chest and waist - between 175 and 180 lbs, 34 waist and 39-40 chest - so that would account for your preference for the Milan.

It is probably true that a lot of my mates and work colleagues wouldn't be able to wear the Rovereto though... lucky old me... :)

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I'm a little more fond of T.M. Lewin than the original poster.

I happen to like their slim-fit, spread collar shirts as they are affordable and of a decent quality. They're also a style that is quite hard to find here in the United States.

As for the suits, I ordered a 40-short, two-button navy suit a couple weeks ago and it arrived recently. It's probably the best, out-of-the-box fit that I have ever had. In fact, I only had to have about an inch taken off the sleeves for it to fit properly.

These are the only products that I have ordered from them, but they have deep discounts on topcoats right now.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.