Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the Twin Cities this weekend to visit the law school with my girlfriend and we went to both Mall of America and Nicolette Mall.

First, at Nordstrom I noticed Armani has a three-piece out on display (and Charles Tyrwhitt is offering them in their fall catalog), so I think they're trying to start pushing those. Also, there were several double breasted suits.

I then went over to the rack and found a Hickey Freeman sportcoat that I purchased. There was a Hart Schaffner and Marx Gold for less money; however, it had some snags in it that probably couldn't be fixed.

I was surprised the 40R fit me for the Hickey, I am typically a 38/39L. The sleeves will need to be lengthened but the coat is long enough in the body and is not baggy - not trim like a BB Regent, but not baggy. I was under the impression most HF stuff was fuller cut. I believe it to be a jacket from last fall. It is about a 50/50 blend of camel hair and silk. It is navy with a small herringbone pattern with a medium sized check in a lighter blue. It is lovely - I will post pictures once I have it altered.

Also, I love how almost randomly sized Hugo Boss is. I was able to get in a 43R for Boss and have it fit like a BB Regent. I also tried on some that were too big in a 42R. Seems counter-intuitive to completely reinevent the fit of your jackets every season.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
What's the style of the town like? I'm going there for the Republican National Convention in a couple weeks and am curious to see if it's a blue-collar atomsphere with few suits and few high-quality shops.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the style of the town like? I'm going there for the Republican National Convention in a couple weeks and am curious to see if it's a blue-collar atomsphere with few suits and few high-quality shops.
I don't know it is a mish-mash, I think. I've only been there a few times, I think Minneapolis is more dressy than St. Paul.

Where are you staying for the RNC? Right across the street from the St. Paul hotel is a haberdashery that is quite nice. You can get straight razor shaves, made to measure clothing or off the rack stuff. Their garmets seem pretty solid. A lot of Italian shoes and some AE.

I went to the Off 5th store, and it just seemed anemic - they had some Burberry London and a ton of CK. I was quite dissapointed and glad I pulled the trigger on the HF jacket from Nordstrom Rack.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Minneapolis has some good stores. Check out Hubert White in the IDS center.
It was closed when I went by, which was a bit disappointing because they had a bunch of big signs about a huge sale; however, the name sounds like a store I can't afford.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I lived there for 10 years and my wife grew up there. I would say that, generally, you will find more folks in suits, etc., in Minneapolis than in St. Paul. It's not a knock against St. Paul (I lived in St. Paul, also) just an observation.

As for shopping, someone has already mentioned Hubert White. There is also a Saks Off 5th and Nieman Marcus in the building and a Marshall Field's across the street. All are in downtown Minneapolis. Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack are out at the Mall of America.

There is another place called Top Shelf in Minneapolis that does custom shirts and suits (they make suits for some of the local tv broadcasters) and sell shoes (primarily AE) and accessories. They also do great alterations and the staff is very friendly and knowledgeable.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I lived there for 10 years and my wife grew up there. I would say that, generally, you will find more folks in suits, etc., in Minneapolis than in St. Paul. It's not a knock against St. Paul (I lived in St. Paul, also) just an observation.

As for shopping, someone has already mentioned Hubert White. There is also a Saks Off 5th and Nieman Marcus in the building and a Marshall Field's across the street. All are in downtown Minneapolis. Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack are out at the Mall of America.

There is another place called Top Shelf in Minneapolis that does custom shirts and suits (they make suits for some of the local tv broadcasters) and sell shoes (primarily AE) and accessories. They also do great alterations and the staff is very friendly and knowledgeable.
It isn't Fields anymore - it is Macy's now. It is maybe the nicest Macy's I've been in - they have a Thomas Pink boutique as well as Louis Vuitton, etc, but still dominated by Macy's line clothing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.