Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Bumper Gadget Rectangle Musical instrument accessory
I am not a big jewelry person but thought it would be fun to have a solid gold belt buckle.

There is really very little around in this category so I had a local jeweler create one based on a buckle I had.

They did the frame in solid 18K and the prong in solid 14K for strength.

I added a matte black alligator belt from Torino to complete the project.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
A good incentive to maintain waist size!

I don't think it's necessary for the prong to be 14k "for strength" under the kind of normal usage a luxury belt will see (and I assume it's not a gun belt which will need to support a weight); probably more of a cost-control feature (I'm guessing such a belt is flirting with $4000?)

I like the idea - it's stealth luxury, not immediately obvious to the observer.

DH

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It really is about the stealth luxury and an entertaining project.

I am thinking about custom cufflinks (multipart puzzle pieces) but I only wear a french cuff shirt once every 2-3 years.

I went to an honest jeweler and the craftsman stamped it 18K. Cool process, the guy made a plastic model, made some adjustments to get the cost in line with what I wanted to spend. Once both parties were ok, they made it.

The buckle was $3K. I kind of think they whiffed on their cost estimate and didn't make any money. I haven't weighed it but I guesstimate it is over 2 ounces. The only one I found on the web is from a guy in Colorado and I think his buckles start and $4600.

I would have done the tong in 18K but the jeweler was afraid of it bending.

The belt was on sale for $340.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had a pair of 18K rose gold collar stays made in Dubai to my design. I gave the jeweler a piece of plastic which I fashioned into the design I wanted and asked him to copy it. Very pleased with the result. It's just vanity, no other reason.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Years ago I got it in my head to design wedding rings for my wife and myself. We had them made by a manufacturing jeweler. I'm not really sure that they were, are or ever will be a good investment from a potential resale standpoint, but we have been thrilled wearing the resulting rings ever since. It seems the real value is in the knowledge that we invested a part of ourselves in the design process. :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.