Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
DISCLAIMER - I Dont really endorse what I'll be saying to do.

Most of the edge dressings is simply just inking over the leather. This is why you need to re ink and re dress often as it wears off really easily. Thus....

1. Mask off edges on the uppers for safety
2. Take fine grit sandpaper and sand the edges
3. Re dress / Re ink as you desire

The reason I dont advise this is if your leather sole edges were BLACK to start with, it was probably for a reason. Black edges are normally on black or burgundy shoes. Your desired edge color may not really fit properly.

·
Registered
384 Posts
A natural edge is likely not doable. The black dressing will have soaked a fair way into the raw edge of the sole and to remove every sign of it you'll have to go much farther into the sole edge than is advisable.

By using sandpaper or a sander (the latter with great care) you should be able to remove enough to make a medium or dark brown look presentable.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Black edge on brown suede? I take it you did the blank inking yourself?

as long as you are careful light sanding won't take off any appreciable material. you'll know if it is possible or not.

PS what color is the welt?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Black edge on brown suede? I take it you did the blank inking yourself?

as long as you are careful light sanding won't take off any appreciable material. you'll know if it is possible or not.

PS what color is the welt?
No, you see why I'm so keen to change it

The welt isn't very visible above the welt stitching. If I can reach the top of the first sole I'll be good. Not sure I can though

·
Registered
177 Posts
so bottom line, the factory put blank edge dressing on a brown boot because they lost their mind and you are fixing it?

if natural doesnt work following a sanding then re dress it with brown dye or that saphir brown paste/resin. it'll still be better than blank likely...

post before and after pics

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.