Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm partial to Marcoliani, but they're not easy to find. I can find them at Zappos, but the selection is not great.

Pantherella are also nice, and these used to be stocked by Zappos, but apparently no more. Zappos search feature is just about the worst I've ever used, so maybe they're in stock but unretrievable.

My question: which brands are as good as Marcoliani, and where online can you buy them? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I've recently become a fan of Falke. They have a very wide elastic top which neither slides down nor pinches/rolls/binds. (I like OTC socks, and have reasonably stout calves, so socks biting me just below the knee are the bane of my existence.)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
+1 for Brooks, I am trying to get away from cotton socks and go with wool for dress socks. I am also heading towards OTC exclusively because I hate having socks falling down and needing to be hiked up over and over. The only caution I would add is that if you go the wool route your best bet is to hand wash with woolite in a sink, rinse and hang them to dry after you gently wring them out.

the Brooks socks are very comfortable, the good ones come in exact socks sizes as well (which is not your shoe size FYI).

I am convinced that there is a huge opening in the market for a high-end sock company, I cant understand why somebody doesn't stake their claim and dominate this niche.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Moderator Alex Kabbaz also has an extensive stock of socks. Discounts on bulk orders and you can mix and match to your satorial heart's content. Customer service is absolutely first class (no relationship to the business).

https://www.customshirt1.com/
I'll look, but initial impression is that is one BUTTugly Web site!

:crazy:

I can see that there's a profit to be made for the first company that comes up with a decent site that's easy to order from!!!

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Nieman's and Sak's both carry Falke, although they are also readily available on the web.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Oh boy, a socks thread! And before you think I'm attempting to lampoon the OP, check how many Ive started. I love socks! :icon_smile_big:

Two very fine but pricey sources are Ben Silver and Paul Stuart. I've bought Stuart's socks for over 30 years and found they often have a unique selection of quality socks. Haven't been in the market recently, but they still look very fine. A great thing for summer dress are really good quality sized, ribbed cotton lisle socks. Nothing finishes off a suit and tie as well. I know Paul Stuart used to be able to oblige.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You can't beat the Robert Talbott socks($32.50 retail) being sold at Nordstroms Rack for $5.97. This is from a guy with socks from Falke, Pantherella, Nagrani, Marcoliani, and Gold toe :)icon_smile_big:).

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
That is the weirdest shopping site I've ever used! There's not even a search box.
What is wrong with the site? Everything is categorized beautifully. Socks are here:
https://www.howardyount.com/collections/socks

I have bought all my marcolianis from Jamison (owner of the store, met him on SF) and everything has been stellar. Socks weere shipped to me (austin) from NYC in about 2-3 days. Outstanding service and Jamison is a great guy to talk to.

·
Registered
768 Posts
+1 for the Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece sized socks. Made in England, linked toe done by hand. Have worn for many years. Not what I would call super-luxurious, but rather outstanding for work. On sale now: 25% off until 4-16. Haven't tried Marcoliani, the only other I would consider besides Corgi.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.