Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not sure exactly which patterns are considered clocks? Would someone post a picture or a link please.

Thank you, Jim.
Jim,

Forgive me for not giving you more direct access to the link but this will get you started.

It's a search for Apparel Arts illustrations at the London Lounge. If you go to the thread by poster Etutee named Concerning Shoes, it contains illustrations of footwear with various hose. Among them are socks with clocks. Clocks are a design on the side of the sock thought to resemble clocks, but in reality are most often a square with a dot in the middle. The elements of the design are usually different colors.

There is also dressy hose with elongated arrows or bars on the side. I've also heard those referred to as clocks, but am not sure that is correct. I have some very fine navy cotton lisle with that ornamentation.

Etutee's threads with illustrations can take upwards of an hour to load on my 9 year-old PC with dial up. I trust you can do better. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Clocks on Socks -- sounds like a Dr. Suez (sp) book.

Thanks so much for tip. I just love those illustrations from AA. I have seen a few here and more at FL, but have not been to LL before - looks like a good place for me to spend some time, especially as the Indy Car racing season is now over there is not a lot to discuss about the only sport that I know anything about.

I have been wearing some socks lately with a design with dots, but the dots are all over instead of being up the side in a column. I don't know if there is a name for them.

My PC has parts from many years. Not too long ago, I replaced a keyboard from the late 80's that had the function keys on the left side where they should always have stayed, but as with WIN I don't use the F keys, it no longer matters much. I am not too fast, but my net connection is.

Thanks again, Jim.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I know a man whose wife's a fox
Who has rows and rows of socks with clocks
He owns a store and it's all he stocks
Yes, he has flocks of socks with clocks.

Many of his socks with clocks
He keeps inside a wooden box
for it's how they come in from the docks
these millions of socks with clocks

You'll know him the first time he talks
All he'll discuss are socks with clocks
While eating bagels smeared with lox
On the house of argyle he's declared a pox

When you see them, I'll admit, it shocks
To see so many socks with clocks
Other stockings he mocks and mocks
Unless they're worn by burly jocks

When he goes to see the Atlanta Hawks
He's sure to wear some socks with clocks
He wears them with loafers, but never Crocs
He hasn't worn those since he played with blocks

To go and see these socks with clocks
A man could take a horse or go by ox
I'll draw him a map with colored chalks
And on his door, he finally knocks
and sees the man and his socks with clocks

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know a man whose wife's a fox
Who has rows and rows of socks with clocks
He owns a store and it's all he stocks
Yes, he has flocks of socks with clocks.

Many of his socks with clocks
He keeps inside a wooden box
for it's how they come in from the docks
these millions of socks with clocks

You'll know him the first time he talks
All he'll discuss are socks with clocks
While eating bagels smeared with lox
On the house of argyle he's declared a pox

When you see them, I'll admit, it shocks
To see so many socks with clocks
Other stockings he mocks and mocks
Unless they're worn by burly jocks

When he goes to see the Atlanta Hawks
He's sure to wear some socks with clocks
He wears them with loafers, but never Crocs
He hasn't worn those since he played with blocks

To go and see these socks with clocks
A man could take a horse or go by ox
I'll draw him a map with colored chalks
And on his door, he finally knocks
and sees the man and his socks with clocks
Charming! Thanks for that! I've saved it. :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
....Clocks are a design on the side of the sock thought to resemble clocks, but in reality are most often a square with a dot in the middle. The elements of the design are usually different colors.

There is also dressy hose with elongated arrows or bars on the side. I've also heard those referred to as clocks, but am not sure that is correct. I have some very fine navy cotton lisle with that ornamentation.
My understanding of a clock pattern on socks is simply one involving a single, usually embroidered, design running vertically up each side of the sock. The design can be anything, and the "clock" reference doesn't have to do with the details of the actual design, but rather with the fact that it remotely resembles the hands of a clock.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
My understanding of a clock pattern on socks is simply one involving a single, usually embroidered, design running vertically up each side of the sock. The design can be anything, and the "clock" reference doesn't have to do with the details of the actual design, but rather with the fact that it remotely resembles the hands of a clock.
I agree. I think the term "clock" refers to the device used to add it to the hose, not the appearance itself.

Today I saw some Tommy Bahama socks with palm tree clocking. Definitely, um, a bit eccentric. Which is "goofy" but with money. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.