Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just trying to find out some information on how long I can expect socks to last?

Currently I use just standard Gold Toe socks since they seem to last awhile and are fairly economical.

I was interested in a comparison between them and higher end socks like Marcolini or the like in terms of durability.

Would also be interested in hearing any other sock around the same price as Gold Toe that are better quality.

·
Site Creator
11,752 Posts
JJou:

We're going to have to have lunch at Walt's Wharf and discuss socks someday!!

I like Polo socks because I worked briefly for them and was brainwashed by the Saturday presentations by the Polo/RL Corporation and buyers!! :icon_smile:

Plus with that Pony logo you know exactly which foot is which! :icon_smile_big:

It seems like some of the higher end (expensive) socks are made with comfort/softness in mind and that's great, but they do wear out sooner.

Go to a Marshall's, Ross, or TJ Maxx and see what they have - try some different brands!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I like RL, have a quite a number of things from them; so thought I should try the socks. Not pleased, too much to pay when Pringle make socks that last longer and I can get them a 1/3 -1/4 of the price of RL socks.

I quite like Falke socks, the soft twisted Merino wool range. In the UK slighty more then RL socks.

Pringle seem to a similar price range to Gold Toe.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I've no issue with Gold Toe other than they = boring. However, my most durable have proven to be Marcoliani, whether cotton or wool. I bet I have 20 pair. I have miscellaneous others including Duchamp, St. Croix, Byford, Paul Smith and Nagrani. Of those, the Nagrani (new, only worn once) seem VERY durable- be interested to see how they last. The Paul Smith's may prove to be least durable based on the few times I've worn them. EDIT: OR maybe my couple Pantherellas... I'm not finding them to wear all that well either.

Since I can get Marco's for about $20 a pair, I think they represent the best combination of style and price for me.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I used to wear gold toe until I discovered Pantherella many years ago after reading posts on this Forum. Not only are Pantherella socks comfortable, they stay up and are virtually indistructable. I pick mine up on sale at NM Last Call, STP also carries them.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I've found Pantherellas very inconsistent. Some have held up great, others have fallen apart quickly. I don't baby my socks -- all but my favorites go right from the washer to the dryer -- and have found Gold Toes as sturdy as any. I buy other brands, but that's for the patterns, not an expectation of increased durability.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have posted on this one before and don't want to seem repetitive, but since you asked: Lord and Taylor's house brand called Grant Thomas has been just great. 50-100 wearings before any wear shows would pretty standard for me. As a runner, I do have to take an emory board to my heels to smooth them out and make the socks last longer! The GT's are more comfortable and stylish than Gold Toes, which I have as well. The merino over-the-calf style is my favorite, and a great bargain at 3 pairs for $21 when on sale. I have no experience with high-end brands, but may try the aforementioned Falke. Bill

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you guys worry about sweat when wearing wool or cashmere? I tend to try to find as high a % cotton sock as I can get as I have to walk a lot in the LA weather. Merino/Cashmere would seem to not be good for this reason.

I should also note that I buy over the calf exclusively as I hate it when the socks slip down my leg.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I buy Ben Silver otc in cotton and merino wool ...

cotton for summer and merino for winter. I have quite a few pairs, and have noticed no appreciable wear. I don't know who the manfacturer is but they are made in Italy. I think they are now about $26 per pair. I buy them for the wonderful colors which I can coordinate with my ties. I bought 5 or 6 pairs of Nagranis and they pilled pretty badly. I e-mailed Nagrani and they sent me six new pairs with which I have had no problem. I don't wear the Nagranis with a suit though, only the Italian single color. I bought one pair of Duchamp which are similar to Nagrani in style, but they are too short. For some reason, English socks in OTC are hard to come by.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Do you guys worry about sweat when wearing wool or cashmere? I tend to try to find as high a % cotton sock as I can get as I have to walk a lot in the LA weather. Merino/Cashmere would seem to not be good for this reason.
+1. It is a concern, but the less generously fibered merinos seem to breathe well, and has not been a problem here in NJ. The wool does a better job of wicking away moisture than the cotton does, IMHO. Bill

·
Registered
780 Posts
Brooks Brothers and Brooks Brothers outlet over the calf cotton lisles
seem to self destruct within a year, more or less. Some Nordstrom
offerings seem much more durable. I say "some" because their own
label sock models seem to vary season to season, not necessarily
in quality but size weight, etc. The most durable I've found are
Marks and Spencer purchased in the UK. These have been typically
wool or wool blend. I have some that are over twenty years old.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Brooks Brothers and Brooks Brothers outlet over the calf cotton lisles
seem to self destruct within a year, more or less. Some Nordstrom
offerings seem much more durable. I say "some" because their own
label sock models seem to vary season to season, not necessarily
in quality but size weight, etc. The most durable I've found are
Marks and Spencer purchased in the UK. These have been typically
wool or wool blend. I have some that are over twenty years old.
I bought a pair of the cotton, and they've started to come apart after one wearing (not even washed). I contacted BB and they will refund me minus shipping and then determine if there is a quality control issue...

I do like their Golden Fleece socks; however, I can't comment to their durability, as I've only worn them once as well.

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
You might find useful in determining sock characteristics.

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
Oh dang, I didn't realize the article was longer. I only saw the portion in this thread. Apparently I'm not a very alert reader as it probably says for the rest of the article click here or something. Thanks.
Underlined words in on AAAC signify links.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
As a runner, I do have to take an emory board to my heels to smooth them out and make the socks last longer!
I recommend a pumice stone. I find they work slightly better than an emory board.

As for socks, my favourite two pairs are both over-the-calf Calvin Kleins. They have yet to fade, they are very thin and comfortable, and they refuse to sag while wearing. The sad thing is that I can no longer find that particular model of socks in stores.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.