Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think the price difference between normal department-store-quality socks and the $25-32/pair high end socks translates into a commensurate difference in lifespan? I know the more expensive ones are usually wool/cotton or cashmere blends, but I'm wondering if it's actually worthwhile to make the investment or if I'm going to wear through them just as quickly as my inexpensive socks.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Yes- at least for my Marcoliani, St. Croix, Duchamp socks... they're lasting far longer than even what I consider a good store brand, Gold Toe.

Note- I always hang them to dry (never in the dryer)- not sure how that affects them.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Frankly the best wearing socks I've purchased have been Gold Toes, most of which have been bought at discount at an outlet store. The more expensive socks I've purchased have come from BB, Ben Silver, Pantherella(sp, I'm sure) and a couple of J Crew argyle designs. I am sorry to say the more expensive brands, while perhaps offering a bit more flash in the beginning, lost much of their appeal quickly and simply did not hold up to long term use as well as the Gold Toes!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The more expensive socks I've purchased have come from BB, Ben Silver, Pantherella(sp, I'm sure) and a couple of J Crew argyle designs. I am sorry to say the more expensive brands, while perhaps offering a bit more flash in the beginning, lost much of their appeal quickly and simply did not hold up to long term use as well as the Gold Toes!
The J Crew argyle designs actually prompted me to write that post; I bought two pairs and after just a few washings they seemed to be inferior to many of my older, cheaper socks. By far the worst quality I've seen has been in the form of Dockers mercerized cotton, though - they pilled after 1 washing and basically fell apart after about 10 wearings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've gotten a lot of wear out of Polo socks- whatever the line is that is sold at many department stores. They go cheap on ebay and are often clearanced in the same dept. stores. I wouldn't say they're worth $20, by any means.

·
Registered
56 Posts
yes, gold toe

Even when not on sale, Gold Toes are a good value, and the semi-annual sales at Macy's are truly worthwhile. I have thin nylona ndcotton blends, over the calf, mid calf and anklets--they last a long time, even hough I wear a shoe orthotic insert that eats up other socks

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
In my experience, wool lasts longs than cotton, which lasts longer than cashmere. And more nylon will improve the durability of all 3. All else being equal, thicker will last longer than thinner, unless there's a very soft/fluffy weave and yarn involved. Brand doesn't seem to make a big difference for me.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The Gold Toes I bought at Marshalls or T.J. Maxx have worn surprisingly well.

Some of the $12 Nordstrom-branded socks I purchased a good 10 years ago are just now wearing out, and the Calvin Klein socks I purchased at Nordstrom (and later on Nordstrom.com for $4/pr) are holding up quite well too.

Given how well my Gold Toes are doing, I doubt I'll even spend more for socks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I bought gold toes almost exclusively until a pack I bought this fall developed real, serious, holes in more than half of the socks within 3 months. I think I threw out 2 of the 8 socks and at least 4 out of the remaining 6 socks have problems. I plan to weed out old socks soon.

I only bought good socks in the last month- will see how they work out.

That was the end of my relationship with gold toe.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I bought gold toes almost exclusively until a pack I bought this fall developed real, serious, holes in more than half of the socks within 3 months. I think I threw out 2 of the 8 socks and at least 4 out of the remaining 6 socks have problems. I plan to weed out old socks soon.

I only bought good socks in the last month- will see how they work out.

That was the end of my relationship with gold toe.
My experience has been that Gold Toes offer good mechanical durability, but fade quickly (esp. the cotton ones). Interesting that yours aren't even giving you the resistance to holes.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Do you guys think the price difference between normal department-store-quality socks and the $25-32/pair high end socks translates into a commensurate difference in lifespan? I know the more expensive ones are usually wool/cotton or cashmere blends, but I'm wondering if it's actually worthwhile to make the investment or if I'm going to wear through them just as quickly as my inexpensive socks.
I think there is little relationship between price and longevity. I once purchased a pair of fine cashmere blend socks. I did a substantial amount of walking at the time, and literally wore a hole in the sock's heel in one or two wearings. Fine Merino wool and cotton lisle are also more declicate than most mass market brands. Does this mean I don't purchase them? Hardly! Though I avoid cashmere, I love good quality Merino wool and cotton lisle socks too well to go without.

·
Registered
513 Posts
As to dress socks, I have some Gold Toes that seem to be lasting quite well. Don't recall which model they are, but I think I got them at Syms.

Wool is incredible stuff, though. I've had oatmeal-colored hiking socks that have lasted me 10 years, and that's with washing them in the machine. I don't see wool dress socks much, and a cursory look online seems to indicate they're pretty pricey (perhaps for good reason).

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I don't purchase socks for long lasting ....

I generally buy socks from Ben Silver: merino and cotton OTC. Some pairs are over 5 years old, and have had no problems with fading or wear. It all depends on your point of view: those who would wear Gold Toe wouldn't wear socks from BenSilver. Just as those who wear C & J shoes wouldn't wear Allen-Edmonds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.