Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
680 Posts
So it goes without saying that part of the whole Trad style is a bit of austerity, conservatism, and thrift. Many Trads not only keep clothing for years and years, but go out of their Tradly way to celebrate this fact. I think this is great. But I have to ask - do you continue to wear suits and/or jackets that have developed a wool shine at the elbows or on the seat? Seeing as how the navy blazer is a de facto Trad garment, I am sure that shiny wool is nothing new to you all. Navy wool shines particularly quickly. What's your take on this - does the shine add charm? Or does it just make the garment look bad?

Just to clarify, I am NOT asking about ways to prevent or remedy shine - thats been discussed to no clear answer. I've accepted that shine happens - its a fact. I'm curious about how a real Trad deals with it.
I have no problem wearing worn clothing as long as it's clean and neatly pressed. Once something becomes threadbare, I only wear it if I can't afford something new. I grew up wearing patched up hand-me-downs, so I'm not too proud. To me shiny elbows, knees, and seat are only problematic if they extreme. As a side note, amen to the navy-blue shining fastest. I go through a navy blazer every 18 months or so.

As a general rule, I try to give clothes away before they're worn out so that the next guy can get some use out of them.

On the other hand, clothing that is both well-worn, and wrinkled, and dirty just makes you look like a hobo (a rant that has roots in my job as a suit salesman).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.