Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lady of my acquaintance was wearing one of my dress shirts, and noted that the extra buttons were still attached. I pointed out all of my shirts still had the spares, where they'd be easy to find when needed. She said she'd been raised to remove them and store them, for comfort, for use with other similar shirts or clothing, and because they stand an equal risk of being lost as the other buttons on the shirt.

Where does the fashion forum stand on this issue?

· Registered
953 Posts
I say leave 'em on the shirt. Easier to find/remember that way, and I've never noticed any "comfort" issues from leaving them on.

PS - I don't think they're "just as likely" to get lost as other buttons and they are never used and so little or no stress is put on the thread attaching them to the shirt.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
I say leave 'em on the shirt. Easier to find/remember that way, and I've never noticed any "comfort" issues from leaving them on.

PS - I don't think they're "just as likely" to get lost as other buttons and they are never used and so little or no stress is put on the thread attaching them to the shirt.
Second

I have lost a few blazer button-spares because they come in a small plastic pocket; rather then on the blazer. Although I would not start having the spares sewn inside the blazer.

· Registered
834 Posts
Dare to be different...

I guess I am the outlier here (there's one in every crowd). I remove and store them.​

· Registered
102 Posts
If you are organized enough to store the buttons and find them again at a much later date, it makes sense to remove them. But I, like most people, would end up losing them or forgetting I had them. So I leave them on, and I think they are less likely to fall off because they should be sewed on differently (no need to have a shank, etc) and are not tugged repeatedly through use.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I am the outlier here (there's one in every crowd). I remove and store them.​

I stopped by her place today and sure enough, she's got a little multi-compartment box full of buttons. I'd never heard of this myself, but she was actually surprised I didn't do the same since I'm pretty organized about most things.

· Registered
907 Posts
If they wanted you to put the buttons in a drawer, they would be in a little bag stapled to the price tag. They went to the trouble to sew them in for a reason, IMHO.
I am not sure whether sewing on the spares is more trouble or costly than putting them in a bag or envelope. My shirtmaker provides, for each shirt, an envelope containing spare buttons and plastic collar bones. I prefer the envelope solution, but horses for courses.:icon_smile:

· Registered
2,219 Posts
I have read about many miniscule and obscure things on this forum,

but this one takes the cake. I ask, "Who cares?" I am more interested in why she was wearing your clothes. Do you reciprocate in this crossdressing?

· Registered
2,556 Posts
but this one takes the cake. I ask, "Who cares?" I am more interested in why she was wearing your clothes. Do you reciprocate in this crossdressing?
Translation: "I leave my buttons attached."

· Registered
7,502 Posts
I always remove and save them. Especially from those shirts that have the spares on the inside, which tend to dig in and cause discomfort.
Those with the spares on the outside, I also remove, partly for comfort, partly because spares are spares and I don't want them on my shirt. I don't walk around with little plastic button bags in my jacket pockets either. Or with spare collar stays attached under the back of my collar. Or with spare laces taped inside my shoes.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
My spare buttons are left secured to the shirts, usually at the base of the button placket. When I experience discomfort from their presence, I realize it's time to go into weight reduction mode and scrub off a bit of belly fat. It also makes them easier to find, when needed! ;)

· Registered
7,502 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
This issue had been the source of more sleepless nights than I care to recall!My solution has been to have my tailor relocate them to the bottom sides of the shirt ,just below the hip,above that V-shaped gusset,or whatever you call it.It cost a few bucks and occasionally affects my balance,but I now sleep like a baby,ah.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.