Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...
Is Olive Oil or Beeswax (sparingly in 2-coats with adequate dry between applications) a good preservative method to maintain Black Snakeskin Shoes?
I have read that both are effective on ‘tanned’ dark snakeskin.
They are in good condition with full saturation of color and minimal curl. I would prefer an at home method rather than product recommendation.
Thanks for your advice.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
26,012 Posts
Hello all...
Is Olive Oil or Beeswax (sparingly in 2-coats with adequate dry between applications) a good preservative method to maintain Black Snakeskin Shoes?
I have read that both are effective on 'tanned' dark snakeskin.
They are in good condition with full saturation of color and minimal curl. I would prefer an at home method rather than product recommendation.
Thanks for your advice.
Neither of those is a good preservative for leather. You want to work with leather, use leather products.

Reactions: Lukacs

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,805 Posts
I use Bickmore Exotic lotion for my gator, lizard and ostrich hide boots and have been doing so for quite some years. It works well at cleaning, conditioning and preserving them. I don't actually have any snake hide boots or shoes, as reptiles without legs creep me out! LOL. ;)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Exotic skins can be treated like calfskin,
I don't believe this to be the case if the exotic skin is reptilian. My understanding is that reptilian skin is significantly different from mammalian in its construction to the extent that use of products intended for calfskin can permanently damage reptilian skin. For this reason I use a specific product designed for reptilian skin (Saphir 'Reptan') which Saphir advised me is also suitable for shark skin.

Regarding ostrich skins, Saphir advised me to use mammalian products namely 'Leather Renovator Nappa Saphir Medaille d'Or '(neutral) or if colour is required then use their 'Creme Surfine Pommadier Saphir'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.