Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased several BB Fitzgerald suits and am about to get them tailored. However, the pants are a little too big in the thighs/legs area. Is this an easy thing for a tailor to slim up? Also, would the tailor at a Brooks Brothers be able to do a good job on this or should I go elsewhere?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
BB Fitzgerald is one of the slimmest suits made ....

I can't wear them and I am slim, 165 pounds at 6'. Yo must be extraordinarily skinny. Brooks generally has competent tailors, so I would ask their advice. If you don't have confidence in them after receiving their suggestions, take them elswhere. But ask their opinion first. You maybe exagerating the fit.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies. Glad BB usually has competent tailors because that is definitely the cheapest route. I'll ask their opinion.

You know I've read a lot about how slim fitting the Fitz is and while it is slim fitting I don't find it overly so. I am 6'2 and 200 pounds and the jacket fits me great and the pants are just a little baggy in the thighs and legs. I wear a 43L in the Fitz. However, I do have fairly slim legs and thighs. Everything else about the suit I love except for the fact that it has a center vent and not side vents. They really need to come out with a Fitz with a side vent.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I don't doubt your word, but ....

this is not making sense to me. At 165 lbs @ 6' I can't get into a 43 Fitzgerald. I wear a 43 Regent though. Where are you wearing your trousers? Are you wearing them at your natural waist? These suits were designed for the trousers to be worn slightly below the navel. If you wear them lower, this may be where the excess material is developing.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is not making sense to me. At 165 lbs @ 6' I can't get into a 43 Fitzgerald. I wear a 43 Regent though. Where are you wearing your trousers? Are you wearing them at your natural waist? These suits were designed for the trousers to be worn slightly below the navel. If you wear them lower, this may be where the excess material is developing.
I guess this might be a case where weight doesn't mean much. I definitely wear my pants a little bit below the navel. The waist fits great. I'm curious as to what your normal waist is. Its odd that you can be 35 pounds less than me and the Fitz not fit. I mean the waist on the Fitz in a 43L is a 37 or 38, I would have to go check. I know on a 44L it was 39.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I can testify that the Fitzgerald is not really a slim fit suit in the grand scheme of slim fit clothing. For BB it is practically skin tight, though! I would guess that many people who claim not to be able to fit into them are really just comfortable in more generous cuts.

As for the competence of BB tailors, I have no reason to question it, but I've found that the spirit (for lack of a better word) is more of an issue. I've found Brooks Brothers tailors (and associates) to be almost immovable in terms of fit. "That's how a man's suit should fit" is the general refrain. (file that alongside "you should be able to wear a sweater under it")

You need a tailor who truly understands the silhouette you wish to achieve otherwise you won't likely be satisfied with the outcome.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can testify that the Fitzgerald is not really a slim fit suit in the grand scheme of slim fit clothing. For BB it is practically skin tight, though! I would guess that many people who claim not to be able to fit into them are really just comfortable in more generous cuts.

As for the competence of BB tailors, I have no reason to question it, but I've found that the spirit (for lack of a better word) is more of an issue. I've found Brooks Brothers tailors (and associates) to be almost immovable in terms of fit. "That's how a man's suit should fit" is the general refrain. (file that alongside "you should be able to wear a sweater under it")

You need a tailor who truly understands the silhouette you wish to achieve otherwise you won't likely be satisfied with the outcome.
Good to know. I really want a tailor who I can tell the general idea of what I would like accomplished and they have the ability to take that and refine it. I don't have the knowledge to tell a tailor exactly what to do wear. I also hope to find a tailor who will tell me that what I am suggesting will not look very good when finished, if that is indeed true.

I have considered going to Peter Panos here in San Francisco because I've heard great things but I've also heard that he is quite expensive.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
There's no such thing as a free lunch is all I can say. Anything beyond hemming pants requires a skilled tailor and the willingness to pay for that skill. Even taking pants in an inch and a half alters the leg-line and other dimensions of the pants which, if not addressed, can lead to a garment that fits better in one dimension and worse everywhere else.

The problem is that once you peer down the rabbit hole, you end up at MTM after a while. Good tailoring is addictive and makes you feel like a supermodel even when you're built (as I am) like a farm animal.

If you're interested in a suit that presents a trimmer more modern fit than a BB Fitzgerald, I would wholeheartedly recommend you never go back to BB. They are a storied and respectable pillar of men's clothing, but not of men's fashion. The second you start to care about how your body truly looks in clothing you must bid BB adieu.

Hickey, RL Black Label, Hugo Bosss, Marc Jacobs, Burberry, and Theory are just a few names to become conversant with and offer suits in the price range of the BB Fitzgerald. (well maybe RL Black Label may have to go on sale!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.