Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Slim ties with slim pickings for variety... why do all of them have to be red or grey?

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
It's amazing how much a quarter or even 1/8th inch makes a difference with collar and tie proportions. I'd consider my 2 3/4" tie to be slim. 3 1/4" is sort of a medium width. 3 3/4 to 4" would be wide.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I see a wider selection of slim tie patterns at Macy's at much better prices. Why can't they just take their regular tie patterns and offer them in a narrower width? Maybe they're afraid people will become confused.

It's amazing how much a quarter or even 1/8th inch makes a difference with collar and tie proportions. I'd consider my 2 3/4" tie to be slim. 3 1/4" is sort of a medium width. 3 3/4 to 4" would be wide.
Yeah, the new crop of narrow ties doesn't seem to be quite as outlandish as the 60's high water mark (I haven't taken a true average, but I'm guessing my collection of ties from the era barely comes in above 2"). The widths you see today seem much closer to the transitional era of the late 50's, or around 1969 (the transition from thin to fat seems to have occurred much more rapidly than fat to thin).

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I'm not keen on those Brooks Brothers designs.

I was in Lord & Taylor recently and noticed they have some great skinny ties. I don't recall the brand, but it might have been an in-house brand. They were really nice, and very trad.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Just about 3 weeks ago, I picked up a "Brooks Brothers University" tie at the outlet outside of Boston. I think I paid about $30 for the tie. I didn't notice it was narrow until I got here and I put it on my tie rack.
I have several "University" ties. They made them a couple of years ago in a wide variety of patterns. They were 2 7/8" and sold for about $55 when new. I'm wearing one now. They were good basics to stock up on narrow ties, but the quality is just ever so slightly iffy.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Still, Louche, they can't be any worse than ties from TJ Maxx. Turns out it was the best match for a new suit.
Not at all. Just not up to the standard of regular BB ties. That's all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.