Men's Clothing Forums banner

Slim-fit shirts on a suit?

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  TheGuyIsBack 
#1 ·
Give me your opinion.

#7 ·
Especially after the holidays.............

.......I find that slim fit shirts give me more room for the.....ahem.....extra skin that seems to have appeared after the normal festive indulgences.

However, I have noticed a general progression towards the slim fit in my last few purchases and I really enjoy the extra comfort and how they move without all the extra billowing.

#8 ·
Depends on whether your jacket comes off or not. If you are not going to take off your jacket, how does it matter? I generally have the sides taken in on my shirts but I have a few for which I have not yet done so. I tend to wear them on occasions where I am wearing a suit but unlikely to take the jacket off. I do a military tuck on them just in case.

#13 ·
I always thought that it wasn't appropriate.
I'm curious. What made you think it was not appropriate? After all a slim fit shirt ideally would fit a slim person exactly the same as a regular cut shirt would fit an average size person. The idea is to get as close to bespoke or MTM as possible in an off the rack shirt, and those shirts certainly pair well with a suit.

It makes me wonder if you aren't talking about something other than the cut of the shirt. For example, some of the shirts from makers like Alfani are cut slim and are a little more fashion forward, or more contemporary in their design. These type shirts tend to be marketed to younger guys who tend to be of a more trim build. If so, these shirts are less suited for wear with a suit, not necessarily because of the trim cut of the shirt but rather because of some of the patterns and styling issues.

What was your thought process? Again, just curious.

Cruiser

#14 ·
Depends on whether your jacket comes off or not. If you are not going to take off your jacket, how does it matter? I generally have the sides taken in on my shirts but I have a few for which I have not yet done so. I tend to wear them on occasions where I am wearing a suit but unlikely to take the jacket off. I do a military tuck on them just in case.
I find that some of my looser shirts, when worn with a suit, tend to billow out from the chest, out the front opening of the jacket.

Yet another reason to get shirts that fit.

To the OP, if slim fit shirts fit you best, they should be worn with or without suits.

#15 ·
I'm curious. What made you think it was not appropriate? After all a slim fit shirt ideally would fit a slim person exactly the same as a regular cut shirt would fit an average size person. The idea is to get as close to bespoke or MTM as possible in an off the rack shirt, and those shirts certainly pair well with a suit.

It makes me wonder if you aren't talking about something other than the cut of the shirt. For example, some of the shirts from makers like Alfani are cut slim and are a little more fashion forward, or more contemporary in their design. These type shirts tend to be marketed to younger guys who tend to be of a more trim build. If so, these shirts are less suited for wear with a suit, not necessarily because of the trim cut of the shirt but rather because of some of the patterns and styling issues.

What was your thought process? Again, just curious.

Cruiser
OK Cruiser no problem. I just had the idea that if you wear a suit you should wear a classic cut shirt. I don't know it's just my crazy thoughts I guess that was the correct dress code for under a suit. I'm pretty athletic built so I obviously like my slim fit shirts and I do wear 'em on my suits but again I always thought this wasn't proper, that's all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.