Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know where a guy could get good quality chinos with the slim, very fitted, slightly too short style of the early 60s? I thought with this period being sorta fashionable at the moment someone might be making something like this. Maybe I'm better off just having ordinary chinos tailored?

· Registered
1,592 Posts
Maybe look at BB "Milano" chinos. I'm considering them; too bad the closest store only carries "Elliot" and "Clark".
If they're online you can order them and still get the 15% corporate discount for being an AAAC member. You just need to sign up with BB to get the discount, if you haven't already.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the Ralph Lauren looks close to the fit I'm thinking of.
I'm sick of Levi's for everyday wear, but I don't want 'beatnik' baggy or middle age / middle management guy chinos. (No offense to all the hard workin' management folks out there!)

· Registered
1,176 Posts
RL Prospect pants are not slim. They just pin them tightly on their models. In fact, the Prospect pants are RL's "regular fit" flat front chinos. They do have "custom fit" chinos though, and those are slim.

I've been wearing J.Crew's "Classic Fit" Essential chinos (formerly called "Slim Fit", though cut and sizing have not changed at all) and they are perfect in terms of fit. The best thing about J.Crew chinos is that you can order them cuffed at any length (but unfortunately only in 1.5" cuffs, not 1.75" for whatever reason).

I've also tried Brooks Brothers (but not the Milano). I have a problem with their fabric -- the "Advantage" cloth which is anti-wrinkle has awful hand. Like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I've also tried Bill's and just ordered my first pair. The M3 was WAY too short in the rise, and I didn't like the quarter top pockets. I then switched to the M2 (at the store) and found that they were perfect. Not quite as slim as J.Crew (which is welcome, as I wanted something slightly roomier) but perfect fabric and high quality. Not worth 2x the price of the J.Crew pants probably, but I bought them anyway. We'll see how they are when I receive them from alterations tomorrow -- had them put 1.75" cuffs on.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
Hmm... way too short in the rise may be what I'm looking for. The Bill's I've seen in shops always seem a little too 'hefty'. Have you tried their lightweight poplin pants?
I have a pair of Bills M2 in Chamois and they are thin and light if that's what you're looking for... Great for warmer days.

· Registered
3,914 Posts
I've badmouthed Uniqlo chinos before, but I found some pretty good ones called the classic vintage Army chino. Very good fabric, (better than J. Crew, I think), very slim fit, seem solidly put together too.

· Registered
1,149 Posts
^Those Uniqlo's are great, but really hard to find in the USA. I need to call the NYC store and try to order them over the phone.

· Registered
3,380 Posts

These are the RL Thompson Slim Chinos. I have 5 or 6 pairs of RL's "custom fit" pants (they're only recently being called slim fit), and they fit exactly how you described your desired fit. Any pants on RL's website that are marked Custom Fit or Slim Fit will fit the same.

My experience is that the J.Crews are still a little baggy (though not bad), and the BB Milanos are advantage chinos which are very stiff (I wear a pair with blazers). Haven't tried Bill's M3s, but am looking forward to it.

Hope this helps!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.