Men's Clothing Forums banner

What is the proper sleeve length?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Clarification: Poll is for Suit Coat Sleeve Length

I know that many of you who have been posting here for a long time are probably rolling your eyes and going this question again, use the d**n search function. Well I have…but thought I would post the poll anyway. Please bear with me, and vote.

Bringing my coat to a tailor to be altered brought this on. I think the suit coat sleeve length should be at “A” and the tailor thought it should be between “B” and “C” (see the picture below). What is your opinion?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I was a little confused at first, but found the picture. I think C is the correct spot for the shirt, with A being where the suit should hit. I voted C to D because I like mine a little long and C wasn't an option.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Who is voting anywhere beyond A (toward the fingers)? Next thing we'll be voting how far below the waist one's pants should rest. Your shirt sleeve should come to A and then your jacket sleeve should come about a half inch above that (A -.5inches)

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Again, we need clarification, are we talking about jackets or shirts. I voted shirt sleeve length, but CT, I agree with you if we're talking about jacket sleeves.

JB

·
Registered
608 Posts
In sincerity, I think this poll is a good idea perhaps, but not really executed well enough to be valuable.

If one (not me) were to take the time to photograph one's own shirt and jacket sleeves in close up form, at the various levels attempted above, and then post a poll, it would be more useful and accurate. This is the type of thing an engineer might do. I am not an engineer.

As it stands now, I GUESS I'd say shirt at B and jacket at A because they look about a half inch apart. More correctly, probably Shirt at A and Jacket at -A.

Bear in mind I have personal struggles with this issue because my shirts all vary, and I have not had them altered or re-buttoned to achieve any consistency.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Just to clarify -- you are indeed talking suit coat, right? If that's the case then "A" is most certainly correct. The jacket sleeve should extend to where the wrist breaks with the hand.

Many tailors today are fixing sleeve lengths relatively long, just like they are trouser lengths, but I've never had anyone suggest somewhere between B and C!

tjs

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Who is voting anywhere beyond A (toward the fingers)? Next thing we'll be voting how far below the waist one's pants should rest. Your shirt sleeve should come to A and then your jacket sleeve should come about a half inch above that (A -.5inches)
Ideally, yes, but somewhere in the ballpark (I voted between A & B [thinking the poll was for shirt sleeves]) is good enough. A discrepancy that small isn't going to be noticed by anyone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to clarify -- you are indeed talking suit coat, right? If that's the case then "A" is most certainly correct. The jacket sleeve should extend to where the wrist breaks with the hand.

Many tailors today are fixing sleeve lengths relatively long, just like they are trouser lengths, but I've never had anyone suggest somewhere between B and C!

tjs
I am talking about suit coat sleeve length. I guess I should have put some more thought into the wording of the poll. Unfortunately I can't edit the poll or post title. Can a mod help? I could start a new poll, but I am hesitant to take up more space.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I am talking about suit coat sleeve length. I guess I should have put some more thought into the wording of the poll. Unfortunately I can't edit the poll or post title. Can a mod help? I could start a new poll, but I am hesitant to take up more space.
No need to start a new poll. This one is pretty black and white. It's "A."

Check out one of Flusser's books like Dressing the Man, Clothes and the Man, etc. if you'd like validation from a credible external source.

tjs

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I stay away from lines C and D, maybe even B.

I like the jacket sleeve shorter than the shirt sleeve, showing a little cuff even when the arms are relaxed parallel to the body. Even in that position, I don't like the look (or feel) of fabric on my hands or knuckles.

Studying this board erased all my evil associations with tailored clothing, flipping me totally into strong Trad favoritism. I rediscovered the fundamental usefulness of good clothes in addition to their beauty, and the rightness of keeping one's hands and feet free of obstruction, and keeping the clothes themselves from getting stuck, caught, and frayed by the sharp sticky teeth of life's vicissitudes.

Stay far away from the C's and D's.

See? All's well.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
If I'm interpreting the picture correctly, I would say that the jacket should end just a bit shorter than A. You have bone-points on the outside of your wrists--sometimes called 'wrist bones'--that indicate what I consider to be appropriate length. If the jacket goes to the wrist bones, and the shirt to the base of the thumb, you're showing roughly 1/2 inch of shirt.

In the current environment, I'm not worried about going just a tiny bit shorter, but longer looks sloppy (imo).

·
Registered
150 Posts
+1. I see way too many suit sleeves cut around B - C. Not a good look - analogous to having a couple inches of break. What is sad is the amount of insistence required to get a tailor to do it right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bringing my coat to a tailor to be altered brought this on. I think the suit coat sleeve length should be at "A" and the tailor thought it should be between "B" and "C" (see the picture below). What is your opinion?
I picked up my jacket after work today and was running late to pick up my daughter so I did not try it on. When I got home and tried it on the sleeves are at "B" not "A" as requested. I know it was marked correctly when I left the tailor but I guess they assumed I did not know what I really wanted.:mad: We discussed the sleeve length when they were being marked and they clearly thought I was making them to short. It is not enought difference for me to take it back but just enough to irritate me. I think I will have to try someplace different next time.

·
Registered
913 Posts
My vote is for A but I have said countless times, sleeve length is a personal preference...

Are you tall? Often tall guys like sleeves to be a bit longer to balance them out...

If it bugs you, I would get it fixed - I think 1/4" is a reasonable amount to be bothered by...

P.S - Good artwork- I think that graphic will help a lot of people! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.